Recommend me a pair of panniers.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
syklist

Re: Recommend me a pair of panniers.

Post by syklist »

TrevA wrote:
pjclinch wrote:Doctor Doctor, it hurts when I do this!
Then don't do that...

So what do you do with your bike at a cafe stop?

I usually just use the bike stand that is fitted to my bike. it keeps the bike standing upright without having to lean the bike against anything. Holes in Ortliebs can be fixed easily and permanently using an Ortlieb repair kit.

We have been using our Ortliebs for around 9 years now and are very satisfied with them. Mostly Rollers (front and back) but we use Sport Packers Plus (old version of the Sport Packer with an external pocket) on our Bromptons. The Rollers are 100% waterproof. However, water can seep under the edge of the top flap on the Sport Packers if they are not stuffed full so that the flap is tight against the body of the pannier.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

I've had two Ortlieb bags and both have been average at best.

For panniers, I'd like to recommend these -

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/alt ... r-ec008426

Mine are still 100% waterproof after 9 years of constant commuter abuse and they still look not too far off new. Once they finally fall apart, I will consider nothing else and go and buy another pair. 2 colours are available. They have never fallen off my racks either and are seriously under rated.

Super C's are also good - I have a saddle bag but I'm not sure these would fit into your waterproof requirement.
robing

Post by robing »

I've got ortliebs on the front and alturas on the back. I like them all, but the alturas aren't waterproof despite being Dryline, so need a rubble bag to line them.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

foxyrider wrote:
hufty wrote: Personally I'd prefer to modify a set of Super Cs by moving the antiswayhook rail up or down, or just not bother with the hooks in the first place

A properly designed set of bags wouldn't need modifying :roll:

A properly designed set of bags wouldn't come in a poncey colour like yellow :D
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pete75 wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
hufty wrote: Personally I'd prefer to modify a set of Super Cs by moving the antiswayhook rail up or down, or just not bother with the hooks in the first place

A properly designed set of bags wouldn't need modifying :roll:

A properly designed set of bags wouldn't come in a poncey colour like yellow :D

At least you get a choice - for the luddites out there they now do asphalt/black as well as all black!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Just to throw in another idea I have recently got a pair of Carradura rear panniers - the right size and with external pockets. Good value for the price (£60) and seem tough though I doubt they'll last the 26 years my previous ones did - most of the last 10 years with no waterproofing left!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin