Recommend me a pair of panniers.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Remaerd

Recommend me a pair of panniers.

Post by Remaerd »

I'm after a new pair of panniers. :)
Presently I use a cheap unbranded pair of waterproof front panniers with a combined capacity of 20L. Unfortunately after about 8 years of (ab)use they are no longer waterproof and last wet ride left an approx 100ml puddle in the bottom. :( As they cost £10 out of a Halfords bargain tub I think I can forgive them. :wink:

My new panniers "should" be....
1. Waterproof
2. Between 20 and 40 litres (the pair)

also I wouldn't mind an external pocket but this would just be nice rather than a deal breaker.
bikepacker

Re: Recommend me a pair of panniers.

Post by bikepacker »

Ortliebs are the only ones I have used for the last 15 years and would not consider any others.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I have Ortliebs (back roller classics) and they are waterproof, but they have no internal or external pockets (apart from a tiny one at the back - bike side). So I end up fishing around in my pannier for my waterproof, long trousers, etc, unless I've been very organised and placed those items at the top.

My wife recently bought some Altura Dryliners, and used them on our recent Scottish tour (where we had plenty of rain!). They are also waterproof and have a useful side pocket (under the flap) for storing things that you might need during the day. I dare say if you dropped All of our panniers into a stream, then mine would prove to be more waterproof, but the Dry Liners can cope with day long rain. They have the Rixen Kaul fittings, which I find slightly easier to attach to the bike.

Ortliebs are also prone to rubbing where you lean your bike against a wall and this can result in small holes which compromise the waterproofness. I've had my Ortliebs for 6 years.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
hufty

Post by hufty »

Carradice Super Cs are the ones I use, I would not consider any others. Search the forum for previous threads on pannier choice maybe?
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

TrevA wrote:I have Ortliebs (back roller classics) and they are waterproof, but they have no internal or external pockets (apart from a tiny one at the back - bike side).

They've changed a little over the years, and now seem to sport internal pockets. You can get external pockets to retrofit, and I have these for a pair of Sport Packer Plus. It's a bit of a wrench using the supplied punch to make a hole in your pannier to mount them, but the mount seals it up okay and with suitably high levels of paranoia to get it in the right place it's not a problem. You can take the pocket on and off easily, which is nice, and you can get a water-bottle holster for the same fitting (dead handy on my 'bent tourer).

The more recent versions of the Bike Packer Plus have an external pocket in any case.

I like Orts in particular not because of the waterproofing (not that I'm complaining about it) but because I find their fittings easier to use and better designed/made than any others. I've also got some Alturas with R&K fittings, a Vau De backpack/pannier and used to have some Carradice ones for comparison, and the Orts are, IMHO, easily the best here.

TrevA wrote:Ortliebs are also prone to rubbing where you lean your bike against a wall and this can result in small holes which compromise the waterproofness.

Doctor Doctor, it hurts when I do this!
Then don't do that...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pjclinch wrote:
TrevA wrote:I have Ortliebs (back roller classics) and they are waterproof, but they have no internal or external pockets (apart from a tiny one at the back - bike side).

They've changed a little over the years, and now seem to sport internal pockets.

I would think the internal pockets can be retro fitted as well. Mine (18 months old) suffered from the bottom of an internal pocket breaking open - which I felt "poor" so ended-up calling Lyon Outdoor (the UK distributor) and they put a replacement pocket in the post (easy to fit yourself). They were very helpful so I would expect a call to buy some from them might work (they are a recognised "spare part" as I had to wait a week until they had more stock in).

I like my backroller classics, but have never had any others to compare them to so can't say best/better/same/worse. One thing I do like for my own general leisure use is that they roll down small when they have little in, but can expand significantly when I stop off and do some food shopping.

Ian
Remaerd

Post by Remaerd »

I like the traditional look of super c's but have read elsewhere on this forum of mounting issues with the tortec epic rack which is the one I use.
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

I've just used my Ortliebs to cycle from the UK to Cape Town over 10 months and written a piece about my experience of using them here:

http://longbikeride.co.uk/travelling-an ... -panniers/

Regards,

Gary Hewitt-Long
www.longbikeride.co.uk
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I think the general consensus is - buy Ortlieb Rollers - Classic's for durability. front are @20l, rear 40l

Like others i've never had any issue with correctly fitted spacers, delamination or (in over ten years use) hardware failure of any description.

The new 2015 bags have revised hardware and are now 'tool less' for adjustment.

Re the external bags - all the bag hardware is fitted in the same way.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
hufty

Post by hufty »

Remaerd wrote:I like the traditional look of super c's but have read elsewhere on this forum of mounting issues with the tortec epic rack which is the one I use.

Looks like you'll be stuck with Ortliebs then... Personally I'd prefer to modify a set of Super Cs by moving the antiswayhook rail up or down, or just not bother with the hooks in the first place
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Remaerd

Post by Remaerd »

I could get a new rack! ;-)
Anyone using Brooks panniers?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

hufty wrote: Personally I'd prefer to modify a set of Super Cs by moving the antiswayhook rail up or down, or just not bother with the hooks in the first place

A properly designed set of bags wouldn't need modifying :roll:
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

TrevA wrote:Ortliebs are also prone to rubbing where you lean your bike against a wall and this can result in small holes which compromise the waterproofness.

Then don't do that...

Pete.

So what do you do with your bike at a cafe stop?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

TrevA wrote:

Then don't do that...

Pete.

So what do you do with your bike at a cafe stop?

Can't say that i've noticed that in over ten years with the same pair of bags and surely if its a problem then any bag would suffer the same way? :wink:

What to do at a stop? Park the bike carefully generally works :lol:
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

I have a pair of Arkel Dolphin panniers for sale @ £100 + pxp

http://www.arkel-od.com/en/dolphin-48-w ... niers.html

Mine are 'as new' but are the older version than whats on the website
Color is grey but have vercro closures on front pockets - not the newer fold over type
Capacity is 48L

Heres a pic
Arkel Dolphin 48s
Arkel Dolphin 48s

email if your interested - PayPal only please

I also have a full set (x4) of Vaude panniers for sale but those have been used
Still good to go though - light and waterproof (as with all 'waterproofness' its up to a point)