Best bicycle SatNav

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Polite

Best bicycle SatNav

Post by Polite »

Hi

I am looking for an easy to use cycle computer where I can type in a route and receive turn by turn instructions, like a car sat nav.

The easier to use the better.

Must be able to use in Europe, too.

Thanks in advance.
freeflow

Re: Best bicycle SatNav

Post by freeflow »

They don't exist. Best option is one that follows a gpx. Then use a pc to create your route and upload to your sat nav. My preference for onvthe bike navigation is a waterproof android mobile. Others will be along shortly to condem me as a heretic and explain that an etrex is the only path to righteousness :D
whoof

Post by whoof »

My (fairly limited) experience with a Garmin 510 touring is always carry a paper map for when it fails in some way.
beardy

Post by beardy »

My preference for onvthe bike navigation is a waterproof android mobile. Others will be along shortly to condem me as a heretic and explain that an etrex is the only path to righteousness :D

I agree with you, the only true path is an Etrex. :lol:

Smart phones gobble up battery life at an unbelievable rate. If you can feed their thirst and give them a good waterproof and safe environment, then they are probably more user friendly than the Etrex. They are also available around £40 and with free mapping and software!

The Etrex on the other hand is expensive, waterproof, rugged and very frugal with batteries.

If you are older you may have a preference for buttons and joysticks like on the Etrex compared to Android touch screens, I certainly do!

I did notice that you have a waterproof model at what start price do they appear?
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

I use garmin in 62s and an online route planner. http://cycle.travel/map

Then you get OS maps, route planning and good battery life.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

eTrex 20 is relatively cheap, can easily hold map of the whole of the UK, and routes/tracks loaded off the PC are easy to follow, even in sunlight (or so I find anyway)

Take AA batteries, so easy to keep powered, and last a whole day of riding quite happily on one set
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I did notice that you have a waterproof model at what start price do they appear?

How long is a piece of string? Try this for starters.

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/mobilit ... nes-162408

I've been using a Sony Xperia Z Ultra for the last 18 months (Oct 2013) after a short experiments with a Sony Arc S I got very cheap off ebay. The current price for this phone is around £220 but you do have to want the 6.4 inch screen :D You do need an external battery to use beyond around 5 hours. The main battery burn (90%) is the screen. The GPS actually takes very little power. I have heard reports that the Sony Xperia Z3 compact will run for 12+ hours on the internal battery with the screen on and doing on the bike navigation.

For my phone I would get much longer battery life if I switched off the screen and used Osmand to give voice instructions.

I have successfully used my phone for several 300k Audax which required a smidgeon of a second battery pack.

I use Sony Xperia phones as they (mostly) have ANT+ enabled so you can also do HR, cadence, speed from wheel revolutions, Power etc
Last edited by freeflow on 29 May 2015, 11:58am, edited 1 time in total.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

There are plenty of free smartphone apps which will give you turn-by-turn directions. Two examples: Google Maps (easy to use) and CycleStreets (better routing.) Both require a data connection to do routing (unless you're prepared to do a bit of technical homework, as I described in a previous thread I started.)

However, I've just started using an app which is user-friendly, doesn't require data and has excellent routing: OsmAnd. The free version allows you to download 10 maps (apparently, available for the whole world - each map covers a region such as Brittany or the South West of England) which was enough for my needs. I'd have no hesitation in paying a fiver for the paid version if I needed unlimited downloads. It uses Open Source mapping which, from what I've seen, is up-to-date and has very good cycling route data, e.g. it uses all the local shortcuts in Plymouth which I know of, plus all the knoopunten network from the Benelux countries which I want for my forthcoming trip. Once you've downloaded the maps, the app and routing will work offline.

Smartphones can be poor on battery life, which is basically because consumers have a zombie-like attraction to phones with enormous screens which eat power and won't fit in your pocket. There are alternatives though. The Sony Xperia Z3 Compact has a small screen and huge battery which will keep you going for 3 days plus. I mount mine on my handlebars, held firmly between my two torches with a single loop of elastic, backed up by a lanyard. I've also bought a mega portable charger, which will give me 7 full charges, i.e. I can keep my phone going for at least 24 days away from a plug socket. The Z3 compact is also waterproof and submersible, and even has a built-in pressure sensor which means you can test whether the waterproof case is doing its job without actually dropping it down the toilet...

(Edit: So in summary, listen to what Freeflow says above!)
scottg

Post by scottg »

The Garmin Touring, almost works like a car satnav, except when you go off course.
It tells you your off course, the display dims the screen, so you can't read the map to get back on course.
When you get back on course by using your handy paper map, the Touring will then start working again.

So for touring, you know where you might make a detour to look at something interesting or get some cakes,
the Garmin Touring is a bit lacking in smarts. There is no pause/resume feature for lunch stops, you have to
leave the Garmin on, other wise it can't handle picking up a route at a point along the way.

I use RidewithGPS premium to make the routes, works correctly with the Touring, you can spec how many
meters from the turn you want the big turn arrow to appear.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++