Road bike or mountain bike?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Chat Noir

Re: Road bike or mountain bike?

Post by Chat Noir »

It's a good question.

Think the arguments pro / con re flat / drop bars have been set out. I prefer the range of options that drop bars offer, but matter of personal preference and which feels most comfortable for a long day. I used 25 mm front and 28 mm rear on recent long ride (in the ETE section, thread 'double ender'), couldn't get a 28 mm in the front, and this worked fine, albeit with rather less luggage. I went on Sustrans route from York to Doncaster, some rough surfaces, alongside canals and across fields, etc, and later went along the Cromford Canal, the cycle path alongside the A9, etc, some equally rough surfaces, and these tyres worked fine, but most of my ride was on roads - some of which have appalling road surfaces!

A road bike generally will be quicker and lighter which, on a long ride or at the end of a long day, you may appreciate, especially if you're having to pick the bike up to get up and down stairs, over obstacles, etc.

The suggestion to try both options first is a sensible one.

Have a good trip!
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
gsix14

Post by gsix14 »

Thank you everyone for the advice, there is lots to digest?

I am going to try an overnight shortish tour on the MTB (with some bar ends added) in the first instance and see how it goes!
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Enjoy your trip and let us know how you get on
gsix14

Post by gsix14 »

I decided to try a short trip overnight this weekend, so I am now sitting about to eat (the local pub isn't serving food tonight :( ) at a campsite just south of Bury St Edmunds.

I brought the mountain bike and it has been fine over the 35ish miles I do today. I have brought about 13kg of stuff including the weight of the bags and rack and the bike has handled well.

Let's hope the promised rain tonight isn't too bad!
Attachments
IMG-20150530-WA0002.jpg