London to Paris - Dieppe camping

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
adtaylor

London to Paris - Dieppe camping

Post by adtaylor »

Hello. A group of us are looking to ride from London to Paris over 3 days. After reading a lot of the advice on here we have decided to take the Newhaven -> Dieppe route.

The issue we are having is that the ferries are already booked up and the only options left either get in to Dieppe at 4:00am or 10:30pm! This doesn't give us much time for sleeping.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Has anyone found a campsite that will let us pitch up at 11-11:30pm? If anyone has taken the 11pm-4am ferry, was there much opportunity to get sleep on journey (no cabins available)?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm new to touring.
Barrenfluffit

Re: London to Paris - Dieppe camping

Post by Barrenfluffit »

The ferry has seats which can be used for snoozing too. There's a time difference but its still not a particularly long crossing.
If you arrive at 4am you could reckon to finish cycling earlier to catch up on sleep.
Don't forget bike lights as the voie verte is unlit.

If you arrive at 10.30pm I'd be inclined to book a motel / chambre in Dieppe and start fresh the next day.

There is a campsite at Les Deux Riviere 8km beyond Dieppe but its a small low key affair. Their are other campsites closer to Dieppe (eg La Source ) but you'd need to contact them to arrange a late arrival.
adtaylor

Post by adtaylor »

Thanks for the advice, thats really helpful. I think you might be right, get on with it early on day 2 and have a good rest in the evening.

So pleased you mentioned lights, I definitely would have forgotten to bring them. Much appreciated!
frank

Post by frank »

Late arrival in france is not a problem i have arrived at campsites at two in the morning , There is always a way in for cyclists , Receptions are closed and you can pay the the next morning . I have arrived in Le Havre at four in the morning . once your out on the road and in the fresh air tiredness is of no concern . You could aim to spend the first night on the somme see some history on your trip .
sedda

Post by sedda »

I camped in Dieppe a couple of years ago. The town is in a big dip so the site I stayed at felt like a bit of a hard fought treck (it was a lovely small site, but I can't remember the name) and I wouldn't fancy it at that time. I'd go with the hostel/hotel option and start afresh the next day. There are plenty of places for a good breakfast.
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

I did the 4am arrival last July. The sleep on the ferry is limited but was still quite fun to be up and in the way that early. Lights definitely needed. The first few miles out of Dieppe are street lit but as soon as you turn off onto AV proper it's pretty dark until the sun comes up. I did have lights but still ended up stopping a few miles along purely as I wanted to see the countryside!
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Ps. This may not be relevant I'd you are doing 3 days as you'll probably want to go further but this place was a fantastic stop after the days riding off the ferry. http://www.chambres-abbaye.com
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

I've done both options. The Dieppe campsite is up a hill about 2km from the port near Decathlon. There's a barrier but you can get through on a bike. I arrived very late and settled up in the morning with no issues.

I prefer the late night crossing. I took my mat onto the ferry and slept right through the crossing. The Dieppe port closes at around 6.30am, so I hung around in the waiting area until then. There's a cafe that opens at 6.30 in the town. Went there for coffee to bring me round then pedaled off. I like this option best because it's free 8-)

There's a cheap municipal campsite in Forges Les Eaux. If you're tired and want an easy day, you could always stop there. Forges is at the end of the disused railway line part of the ride.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....