What do you do with your luggage if sightseeing?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
wardle

What do you do with your luggage if sightseeing?

Post by wardle »

Hello,

My partner and I have been commuting for a few years now and have started wanting to go further afield. We've been on a couple of trips in the UK where we took the train with our bikes, cycled to a campsite to set up "base" and then spend a few days going on day trips from there. We're planning on taking the ferry over to the Netherlands at some point in the summer and doing a mini tour staying a couple of nights in pre-booked hotels around South Holland.

Something that's always puzzled me that I'm sure the answer is probably obvious to everyone else is as we'll have few days stuff with us in panniers what do we do with this if we want to stop and go sightseeing? wander round a town or something? in a museum I'm guessing there's left luggage facilities but what about popping round the shops or whatever? do you just lug it round with you? this time we're in hotels but what do you do when you're camping? even packing light there's still a fair amount of bulk?

I'm really interested to know what people do

thanks,
simonhill

Re: What do you do with your luggage if sightseeing?

Post by simonhill »

Try doing an advanced search (top right of page) on security. There have been a number of recent posts on security of panniers when sightseeing, security of money, security of barbags, etc.

Many people have a strategy for panniers, but it often boils down to what suits at the time. Generally most would say that it is not a major problem, especially if there are two of you (watcher and shopper).
Ron

Post by Ron »

Put your valuables and important papers in a bar bag and take it with you while you sightsee, leaving the bike locked up.
Rely on gut feeling in campsites, if the place looks rough then don't stay there in the first place, but if you must then take the valuables with you.
People have horror stories regarding hearing of someone being robbed in a campsite, but I've never heard a first hand report, I think it is a rare occurrence.
I don't carry much of any value that will not fit in my bar bag apart from tent, sleeping bag and air mattress.
When sightseeing in towns I find it more convenient to walk and leave the bike locked up at the campsite/hotel/hostel, perhaps taking a bus into city centres if it's too far to walk.
I think there is a lot of unjustified concern regarding fear of theft while touring :D
syklist

Post by syklist »

A recent thread covering just this topic.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Ron wrote:I think there is a lot of unjustified concern regarding fear of theft while touring :D

+1
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Put a sign on saying "Back in 8 hours, please do not pinch".
Have we got time for another cuppa?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

But it's quite natural to worry about one's belongings if they represent both a substantial financial investment and if you worry about what a predicament you'd be in without them (think: tent, spare clothes, washing kit etc. etc.). It's one thing to imagine that the risk of loss is exaggerated but quite another to say, OK then, I'll stop worrying!
I deal with the issue by taking everything seriously valuable to me (passport, cash, cards, camera, mini-tool and wetwipes!) on a belt and I put up with the down-side of looking like a Batman wannabee! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman's_utility_belt
That way, at least I know I've got everything with me that I'd need to get me out of a hole - let's face it, if the bike in its entirety goes, at least I can get a night's accommodation, food and get back home if I've got me passport and funds available.
When I'm in town and fancy a wander, if I can't park the bike-plus-luggage somewhere either locked way or at least overseen by say a cafe owner, I make a judgement call about the environs and sometimes resort to taking the luggage with me, which is why I use only three separate containers - 2 front rollers and a rack pack... which makes them just about portable. That's when I remember why Ortlieb provide those straps! :D
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)