Lightweight packable trousers - recommendations please

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PH

Re: Lightweight packable trousers - recommendations please

Post by PH »

You haven't said what sort of touring or what you intend to do in the evenings. There's been some excellent advice on the sort of trousers I'd want for lounging around the campsite and going down the pub, but this might not be what you want.
Plain black golfing trousers from the likes of Sports Direct, pack smaller, dry quicker and are more crease resistant than my Rohan trousers, not bad for around £8. They are nothing like as robust, but then you might not be looking for that. I set of without any evening trousers once and bought some cheap polyester ones from Primark, they were fine.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

PH wrote:You haven't said what sort of touring or what you intend to do in the evenings.

I'm doing a tour from Canada to Mexico through California, mostly National Parks and Deserts. Accommodation is surprisingly scarce so we are staying in whatever we can find mostly motels, cabins and a couple of nice hotels where nothing else is available, but no camping. I'm going for a month so they need to be crease proof, stain resistant and fairly smart. I'm not too bothered about the legs zipping off - I haven't got the legs for it! I'm only taking two small panniers so space (and weight) is at a premium).

There have been lots of good tips on here and I have been clicking on the links. Next step will be a trip to the local outlet village

It's good to know that you don't need to spend a fortune.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you do make it to TKmaxx, keep your mind firmly on what you went in for. You may otherwise come out with all sorts you didn't know you needed till you saw it in there at a bargain price. (I have a pair of Ventile trousers original price £300, to me £10.)
cycling-rayb

Post by cycling-rayb »

Decathlon Forclas 900.

Very much hiking orientated trousers but very light and good trousers. Can also be worn on the bike as they are quite stretchy and don't interfere with riding.

Highly recommended by me.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:If you do make it to TKmaxx, keep your mind firmly on what you went in for. You may otherwise come out with all sorts you didn't know you needed till you saw it in there at a bargain price. (I have a pair of Ventile trousers original price £300, to me £10.)

If it's anything like the branches I've seen, you'll need to keep mind firmly on what you went in for because it's like a jumble sale as a shop... :roll: They do occasionally have interesting bike tools and clothing but I rarely suggest them because you can't count on any particular item being in stock or in the same part of the shop from day to day.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

thirdcrank wrote:If you do make it to TKmaxx, keep your mind firmly on what you went in for. You may otherwise come out with all sorts you didn't know you needed till you saw it in there at a bargain price. (I have a pair of Ventile trousers original price £300, to me £10.)

Wow, that's a real bargain. Seems more like a treasure hunt than a jumble sale at those prices
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

TrevA wrote:You can get Craghoppers for £15-£20 a pair in TKMax. The RRP is £40. Other places like Yeomans do them for £20-£25 and sometimes cheaper if you buy 2 pairs.

+1

I live in the Craghopper Stretch Pro when touring

They have enough stretch and comfort to be worn with a padded cycle "insert" and also wear in the evening... and if you want there is both a full and 3/4 length in green or black

... ans (sacrilegious though this may be) are far more suitable to cycling then Rohan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Get a pair of golfing or walking ones from TK Maxx or one of the warehouse type outdoor places; whatever happens to be on sale. :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mnichols wrote:

Wow, that's a real bargain. Seems more like a treasure hunt than a jumble sale at those prices

It's a bit of both. They don't do organisation well; you need twice as long to shop there as other places. If it was ever sorted by more than trousers, shirts, etc. the organisations was destroyed by the first two year old let loose in there. Which means if you want a pair of trousers, you practically have to examine every pair of trousers that looks vaguely as if it might be the right type and size. So, the bargains come at the price of a bit of time.

That said, I used to buy all of my socks for long distance walking there. I would pay £2 or 3 for the same socks that were £10 in Blacks or someplace like that.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
RickH

Post by RickH »

Go Outdoors website shows trousers/ zipoffs from £10 at the moment. They usually have a variety of prices & styles but, if you don't have a discount card, don't forget to factor in the £5 cost of that to get the advertised prices. It is worth a mooch round to see if there is anything that fits the bill if you have one within a reasonable distance.

My favourites packable trousers are some Rohan grey double zipoffs (Essential DC - no longer made) bought in a sale. They look normal enough to wear as "proper" trousers - "normal" pockets & the zips are discrete (helped by the grey colour)- but convert to 3/4s or shorts. The different sections seem to have held their colour match well over the 4 or 5 years I've had them. I've found one pair for off-the-bike evening wear is enough on a 2 week trip.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In one sense, TKMaxx stuff isn't really a bargain: it's selling at the true market price, nobody having bought it at the original daft price or any interim reductions. My originally £300 trousers were never worth that, which is why they ended up going for a tenner in there. Some trendy designer had decided that Ventile would be the next fashion must-have but it wasn't. Ventile is still Ventile and they make excellent outdoor trousers.

Something I intended to mention before but forgot to include was that since you have specified quick-drying, avoid cotton. Polyamide (AFAIK another name for nylon) is excellent: dry in no time.

In both branches I visit (Leeds and Bradford) they do try to keep on top of the organisation of the trouser displays, in that leisure trousers like you are after are kept separate from jeans and tailored trousers.
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

I'd recommend Peter Storm zip offs. Although the 10 month tour I just did I rarely unzipped them. Still in good condition and the only pair I took. For cycling in the day I had Endura shorts.

Regards,

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

thirdcrank wrote:My originally £300 trousers...
:lol: No wonder they ended up in TKMaxx - surprised you dared venture out in 'em! :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I did buy a £200 jacket in TKMaxx for £20

I was actually honest and asked them to check the price, but it was correct!

Like any shopping, know the prices and shortcuts
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

Don't knock Rohan, the quality is superb, and the after sales service is superb. I've had a pair of five year old breeks repaired for free.
Craghoppers.... Don't get me started...good prices, but terrible customer service.

For packability you'll find a pair of pertex trousers hard to beat.