Lightweight packable trousers - recommendations please

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Lightweight packable trousers - recommendations please

Post by mnichols »

Hi
I'm looking for some lightweight packable trousers to wear in the evening when I'm touring

Not looking to spend a fortune
Ray

Re: Lightweight packable trousers - recommendations please

Post by Ray »

Rohan do some nice quality ones, but somewhat pricey. If you are within reach of a Decathlon store they have a good range (look in the 'walking' aisles) for a lot less money, but decent quality.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

MrsS got some for the same reason from GoOoutdoors recently, they have a selection, but hers were only about £15.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Phunny thing about Decathlon's walking bags is that for my waist size they assume I'm around 7' tall.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
james01

Post by james01 »

I've got Crivit brand zip-offs from Aldi/Lidl (?). Lightweight thin material, pack well,dry fast, sober styling for restaurants, convertible to shorts for warm evenings.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C ... detailpage

Shorts and trousers in one. They even come with a lightweight belt. Light as a fairly heavy feather. The sizing seems dead on too.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
kolb

Post by kolb »

+1 for Rohan. I have taken a pair of Rohan Bags for years on tours and they are still going strong. They are light, look reasonable, wash easily, and have zipped pockets for carrying valuables. Not cheap though.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I've got a couple of pairs of zip-offs, one from Mountain Warehouse, and the others are Craphoggers. The MW pair are much thinner and lighter (347g CF 526g).
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
beardy

Post by beardy »

Zip-offs are fine if you are going to use them as shorts (though you do end up with rather odd looking two tone trousers!)

I use zip-offs when camping so I can put legs on when I stop to camp (depriving insects of their food supply). When staying in accommodation, I found I only want to wear them as longs. So I just take non-convertible trousers for that as they weigh a little less and pack a little better, and are not two tone. :lol:
Neil C

Post by Neil C »

I've got a pair of Peter Storm walking trousers from Millets. Now £15.
http://www.millets.co.uk/mens/078724-pe ... -navy.html

Only weigh 257g with the belt - a full half a kilo less than my jeans and belt.

Not particularly stylish, but then neither am I.

( Also since the material is thin you can roll up the legs to above the knee to produce shorts if you have forgotten your cycle clips! )
robing

Post by robing »

+1 for Go Outdoors. Got the cheapy ones and they are v light and have removable legs - so both shorts and long trousers the only pair you will need cycle touring.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I've got a couple of very lightweight trousers by Montane and Rohan. I can't remember the model names but they are very light, something around 2000. Now here's the down side - they are pretty fragile and don't even think of touching them with an iron, they disintegrate (done that) and they rip easily if you catch them on something sharp. But they are light!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Ray wrote:Rohan do some nice quality ones, but somewhat pricey.

Often worth a look in their "Souk", discontinued colours, lines at a good reduction. See http://www.rohan.co.uk/bargain-travel-and-outdoor-clothes-in-the-souk

Even the standard prices are justifiable if you can wear them as general purpose trews a lot of the time (I use Bags for work, including cycling to it, and get about 10-15 years out of a pair, I've just replaced some Goas wih their newer counterparts after slumming around in them for over a decade).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Craghoppers trousers are good, IMO and as well as being quite reasonably priced to begin with, they are further discounted in their outlet shops.

Taking a different approach, TKmaxx can be excellent if you are lucky enough to find what you want.

Rohan stuff is OK but the price you pay seems to include a lot of expensive marketing and a target clientele with bags ( :oops: ) of money. I've had all sorts of Rohan stuff over the years BTW, and I'd probably have bought more if they didn't have such a patronising approach to what they consider shorter inside leg measurements. New Rohan lines start out at a silly price and then they have various sales and special offers to get those customers in who are not desperate to have the very latest catalogue release.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

You can get Craghoppers for £15-£20 a pair in TKMax. The RRP is £40. Other places like Yeomans do them for £20-£25 and sometimes cheaper if you buy 2 pairs.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com