St.Malo to Nice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cymro49

St.Malo to Nice

Post by cymro49 »

I want to do the St.Malo to Nice trip as suggested in the book, 'France en Velo'. I live in Canada and don't want the hassle of bringing my own bike by air. A few questions. Has anyone done this route on a rented bike from St Malo? Are there places in St. Malo for dedicated touring bikes with drop bars? I have to return from Nice to St.Malo so what is the train service like for carrying unboxed bikes? Appreciate your input guys!
aquilo

Re: St.Malo to Nice

Post by aquilo »

Hi
Rode St Malo Nice last summer. Can't comment on bike hire, but can help with trains as I had to get back to St Malo.

In short you can return up the East side of France to St Malo via Paris, but you have to put bike in a bag as far as Paris if using TGV. Plus you may have to change stations in Paris with your bike in a box.

I couldn't be bothered with that and got a local train to Narbonne then TGV via Bordeaux, Paris, St Malo with bike in one piece. No need to change in Paris, just platforms at Montparnasse. Don't forget to book your bike on the TGV as soon as you can up to 3 months before you travel.

I didn't follow the route you mentioned, but it's a great ride across France and the Alps just top off the ride at the end.
Have fun
cymro49

Post by cymro49 »

Thanks Aquilo! I'll check it out.
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

When I did the ride I took overnight train back to Paris from Nice, this took bikes assembled in a bike space. It is a good ride. My ride was losely similar to the Saddle Skedale holiday company trip.
cymro49

Post by cymro49 »

Anyone know if there is a train from Nice to Rennes? Seems more direct but I understand that is not how the railways were built.