Stand for fully loaded bike : recommendations?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mike777

Stand for fully loaded bike : recommendations?

Post by Mike777 »

Hi all

Recently back from a tour and found it a pain either resting my bike on the panniers or pedals. (actually fell over couple of times)

Are there any good stands that people would recommend for a fully loaded bike with front and rear panniers

Many thanks for any advice and your time

Regards

Mike
hondated

Re: Stand for fully loaded bike : recommendations?

Post by hondated »

foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

maybe a double leg centre stand?

tbh its a rare stop when I can't park against something and my bags are low emough that they nearly hold the bike up anyway! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

My bike weighs about 90lbs fully loaded and this one holds it up no problem :)
Be careful tightening the clamp though as it's possible to crush the chain stays if you overcook it.

Pletscher Standard Mount Kickstand 295mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001E1OUT6/ ... yvb10H4NZW
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Mike777 wrote:Are there any good stands that people would recommend for a fully loaded bike with front and rear panniers

I have found rear fork mounted stands to be the best. The main point is to find a stand where the foot is furthest away from the bike when the stand is in use.

Of the ones I have tried, Pletscher stands were the best made albeit a bit heavy. The very best of the Pletschers use custom mounts built into the frame. The other Pletschers have mounting brackets which are sturdy and relatively easy to use. The foot on the ones I fitted did not come out so far from the frame as the custom mount ones. However, the ones on the SJS site look different to the ones I have, the design of the leg has changed a lot. I would also take a look at Hebie stands as well. A recent WarmShowers visitor had one on his VSF tourer it seemed to be OK.

The cheap rear fork stands made from pressed steel invariably have a design fault - there is only one piece of plate metal between the leg hinge and the mounting to carry the weight. After a short while the stands tend to bend outwards when in used, eventually breaking at the weak point. This can be remedied by bolting a steel strap on the back of the stand between the leg hinge and the rest of the mounting fitted to the frame. However, I would avoid these.

It can be a challenge to fit rear fork stands if you have a Rohloff with a long torque arm. The torque arms can be removed, bent and re-fitted round the stand. One great advantage of rear fork stands is that they allow the cranks to be rotated whilst the stand is down. Handy when oiling the chain.

As usual YMMV...

I fitted a front pannier rack stand to one of my bikes. This works well to a point, it definitely makes the bike more stable when parked but the fitting kit (from Tubus) is pricey and the stand they supply is of the cheap pressed metal variety. The stand also lowers ground clearance significantly.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Lateral thinking -- :wink:
Attachments
camping1.JPG
letelemarker

Post by letelemarker »

What bike frame are you looking to put the stand on? some of the manufactures don't recommend you fit them due to thin frame walls.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

hondated wrote:This link may interest you

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/bo ... ted=0&v=2p

I read about the Clickstand when I was considering this problem. I was a bit put off by the price, for what is essentially as stick. So I've bought a collapsible walking stick off ebay for £3. It's lightweight and compact. The handle happily slots firmly under the junction of the seat stays and seat tube. Used in conjunction with a velcro brake lever strap (to steady the bike) I expect it to work perfectly well, although I've not used it yet.
cjs

Post by cjs »

Mike777 wrote:.......
Are there any good stands that people would recommend for a fully loaded bike with front and rear panniers
Mike

I have used the click-stand http://www.click-stand.com/ for several years. It works for me, of course you have to engage the grey matter on soft ground...

My bike is very well loaded....

lo.jpg
lo.jpg (77.59 KiB) Viewed 1806 times

That said I reckon the best addition is the 2 bungeee 'hand brakes' you use on both brakes. Most times there is a convenient wall or fence to lean the bike against, engage both brakes and it's as stable as a rock.... They are easily made with bungee cord and left on the bike...

The actual clikstand generally is only used when loading / unloading the panniers or if there is nothing to lean against which is rare. The brakes are 'on' every time the bike is not wheeling....

Overnight, I normally lay the bike down.
Kind Regards
Chris...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

some kind of hooked walking stick to create a sort of tripod? lean against top tube? As some people here have said I dont like the idea of tightening something like a stand to the tubes of the frame in case they are damaged.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Easy-Fold-Walking-Stick-Adjustable-Lightweight-Aluminium-Folding-Walking-Sticks-/380990759668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item58b4d1a2f4
kolb

Post by kolb »

I used a double legged kiskstand fitted under the bottom bracket some years ago (Pletscher I think) whilst touring with 4 panniers on a Dawes Galaxy. Brilliant. EXCEPT: it needed to be so tight that it damaged the frame and I had to remove it.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Made this with a fishermans rod rest. It collapses easily and clips to the downtube when not in use with strong elastic bands. It also supports a fully loaded bike on any terrain or surface. Very useful when camping you can prop the bike up and load or unload it in the middle of a field.
https://flic.kr/p/7WyG3h

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We have a few shop bought stands from single to double leg and none of them worked with my hybrid. The stays were oval and the bolts were often too short as a result. Tried to source the bolts but something just did not work, I wondered whether they were non-standard bolts?

Anyway the replacement for my stolen hybrid may well not take a stand neither. Certainly it is possible to clip the chainstays with my heel as it is so I reckon most frame fixed stands would not work for me. So that leaves the excellent solution, the clickstand. Although I do not like to buy from overseas because duty does annoy me for US sourced stuff. Will you or wont't you get charged and will they use Royal Mail for the UK leg which IIRC they charge for "handling charges". BTW they are off doing the Selkirk route, that is Scotland AFAIK, so no orders being sorted until June.
mr mchenry

Post by mr mchenry »

Clickstand is superb! Image

https://ultragal.wordpress.com/