Handlebar bag as security risk

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tangled Metal

Re: Handlebar bag as security risk

Post by Tangled Metal »

A throwaway wallet works for armed theft or mugging where it is a confrontation I reckon. Pickpocketing and a quick snatch of a bag and off (usually on a moped or similar) won't benefit from a throwaway. That is down to just being aware and catching on to what could happen before it does. Instincts I believe play a lot into this. I have never been robbed anywhere I have been. It is the same thing that has meant I have never had an accident on the bike. That is not through not being in such a situation but I really believe in people having good instincts and bad instincts for this.

Please note that I am not being conceited here I just have no other way to explain it. Some get into trouble others do not. If I could explain that I would be running courses in it and writing security books about it. There is money to be made in bottling security I reckon.

The muggers can have good and bad instincts too. I know a guy got mugged on Liverpool's train line through Central station to Moorfields. Trouble was he was a 4th Dan in Ju-jitsu and he broke the guy's arm when he took the knife off him. The mugger should have realized because the guy has a neck as wide as his head and a military bearing (was a non-com for a number of years I think). I hope that image pleases you if you have ever been mugged...a mugger getting his just deserts!! :D
robing

Post by robing »

The only place I would worry about a bar bag is in a city. But in a city I would be staying a hotel and leaving it in the room / safe. I would just have my wallet on me in my front trouser pocket like I would at home so I don't see the problem.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

I like to think I have good instincts too but more likely I've just been lucky and even if I do have better instincts, thinking like that would make me complacent :). Extra precautions, such as bag choice, even if they just reduce the risk by 1%, can do no harm.

To be specific, let's say valuables = money+passport. I'll have a cheap phone and an inexpensive camera that I won't mind losing too much. The safest place for the valuables is next to your body, hidden from obvious view (neck pouches or money belts) or at least in front pockets not rear. Is it comfortable to cycle like that? I doubt it, though maybe it's fine, sometimes. They might get wet. It's tempting to put them all in the bar bag. The other alternative is panniers but then you'd have to take them out every time you leave the bike for a few minutes. So you keep them in your bar bag and every time you stop you move them to your body (assume you've got lots of pockets). What a hassle. And every time you shift them around you increase the chance of losing them and also advertising them to onlookers - sorry if I sound ultra-paranoid here I am actually quite trusting :). So they stay in the bar bag. Of course you have emergency cash and perhaps a card and copies of documents in other places on the bike, so it's not that bad, and then there's the decoy wallet trick.

Ok, fine, say I accept the bar bag is indispensable. Still wouldn't it be better to have one that looks as regular as possible off the bike, that blends in more, and I don't think, say a bright yellow or red Ortlieb bar bag is very inconspicuous on the streets of, say, New Delhi. I know with a bicycle you will stand out anyway but there'll be many occasions when you'll be away from the bike. Of course, when in a city you check into a hotel, you have the space to reorganise your stuff and can walk with the valuables in pockets and perhaps a rucksack. But there'll be many other times when you'll stop in a city or large town when you won't have the chance to reshuffle things and will be walking around with your bar bag with all the valuables in it.

I'm probably not making any sense, am I?
climo

Post by climo »

LollyKat wrote:
climo wrote:I asked recently about a soft bag, the kind you would normally carry over your shoulder, with a barbag fixing. It could have a supporting basket like frame which stayed on the bike. Much more comfortable to carry & less like carrying a hat box. Sadly no one knew of any.
I guess a very large barbag / shopping basket with a soft bag in it would work but not as neat. Gap in the market as it would sell to urban short distance cyclists IMO.

What about this Handbag Hugger? It wouldn't fit all handlebars but could well suit urban utility bikes.

Hmmm.. not quite what I had in mind. It looks pretty industrial. Sort of in that direction though, well sort of :)
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

I use an ortlieb bar bag. No problem with risk. I'm with it all the time. I leave the shoulder strap on and when I get off the bike, so does the bag.

Regards,

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

When I toured South America, in addition to the bar bag I had a pouch around my neck and inside my shirt for the very valuable things when I was in places likely to be a high theft risk, such as Buenos Aires. I also had a decoy wallet in my bar bag with just a little money in, and used it for small transactions.