Handlebar bag as security risk

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
22camels

Handlebar bag as security risk

Post by 22camels »

I recently toured with a handlebar bag for the first time. A small one (ortlieb compact) cos I cannot bring myself to getting a full size one, they look so clunky.

I had all my valuables (passport, wallet, keys, mobile, camera) in there as I was in a safe area. But it got me thinking.

It is common knowledge that fanny packs are theft magnets (you can google it) and a bar bag is not so different. It makes it really obvious where all your valuables are.

I know in general I would not put all my valuables in the bar bag, e.g. I'd use e.g. a pouch of some sort on my body for the passport, perhaps put something in a pannier (but then you can't leave the pannier on without taking it out), and distribute money amongst various hidden places on the bike and person. However, I would still use the bar bag for some valuables, like camera, mobile, keys, otherwise what's the point.

I am not really concerned with theft whilst you're on the bike either (love the gimmicky ortlieb locks), I think it's more likely to happen when you are off the bike and carrying the bar bag. It feels so amateur.

Is there basically no other choice? The main advantages of bar bags are a) you have things you access frequently at hand, b) you can take it off the bike easily when you dismount. (Also handling but let's assume I have front panniers for that.)
Now for a) I think there are other solutions such as a pocket on your front pannier, but for b) it certainly seems convenient to have all the important things in one place. But it seems to be inviting trouble.

Am I the only one who thinks this?
dandru

Re: Handlebar bag as security risk

Post by dandru »

There is no one solution to the problem, some like bar bags, others don't. Not long back I saw a swiss guy who had a bag draped over his handlebars and thought, that's the way to go, but I'm not sure of the brand. https://goo.gl/mVr3qz The Topeak Compact is a good little unit because you can attach it to your waist and use it like any other barbag, plus you can squish it down to fit into your panniers if need be, http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/Com ... dlebar_Bag I use the Packsafe Venturesafe 100 and find it ok for up to six weeks so far, but might use the Topeak option for longer trips http://www.pacsafe.com/venturesafe-100- ... ack-3.html

My barbag days started to come to an end because of my forgetfulness, while half way into the long queue at customs, I realized I was missing something, I left the bag at the security scanner, it had all the important stuff in it. I read a story where a guy did the same thing but he wasn't allowed to get his bag because he'd crossed the line of no return, that caused all sorts of strife. I left my barbag in a few other places as well.
robing

Post by robing »

Topeak Compact is the one I have. Love it and it comes with belt clip so you can wear around your middle. I know what you mean about standing out a bit. If I was checked in to a hotel, I would leave it in the room safe and just have my wallet in my pocket as I would at home.
Mnemon

Post by Mnemon »

I've used cycling bar bags to store all sorts of things over the years - even off bicycle. Like as a photo bag before I had a proper one to carry my equipment. I think the issue isn't really about the handlebar bag [I carry a lot of expensive filming equipment and the like frequently - in bags designed for that, which stand out, too] but about being aware of your surroundings. People that steal things are opportunistic, most of the time, and it matters less what type of bag you carry, but how you carry it (and how you carry yourself). Always have it slung over the opposite shoulder from the side it's hanging in areas that are unsafe. Leave your arm over and on top of the bag. [I.e. bag between your body and your arm.]. It'll make it harder to just snatch it.

And learn to trust people, a little. The large majority are not thieves :).
22camels

Post by 22camels »

If I were travelling on foot, I would have a rucksack/backpack along with clothes pockets and a (hidden) pouch or waist belt. It wouldn't be very obvious where my valuables were (unless I carried a big camera in its own bag). The bar bag by itself seems to scream out "this is where my valuables are" - and it is really tempting to put most of them in there. Especially as, on the bike, I wouldn't want to have much, if anything, hanging on my body because it may constrict movement and get annoying in hot weather.

I know the majority of my time will be spent in rural areas where there is nothing to worry about, but, especially on a longer tour, one has to go through lots of towns and cities some of which can be dodgy.
hondated

Post by hondated »

22camels wrote:If I were travelling on foot, I would have a rucksack/backpack along with clothes pockets and a (hidden) pouch or waist belt.

Please don't do that if you ever go to Barcelona as we had our rucksack dipped into when we went there. Fortunately we somehow expected it to happen and they got away with nothing.
Their modus operandi was to surround us on the train and as we got off with a rolling suitcases one of them stood in the way of my wife expecting her to stop. Little did they know. Rather than stop she just barged her way through hitting one of the thieves in the shins. As we moved along the platform she made me aware of them following us and I just turned and glared at them when they then skidaddled over to the other platform. It was only when we were going up the escalator when someone pointed out to us our rucksack was open.
We had a lucky escape and I now know why you see people walking around in Barcelona with their rucksacks on their stomachs.

Not a great trip as we managed to leave our camera in the taxi.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I think that you are over reacting to a small degree of chance, your body language would probably attract a potential thief rather than how you carry stuff. The potential for bag theft is probably less for you than the thousands, no millions of women who carry a bag every day. It's been said before, use common sense, take the bar bag with you if you are keeping valuables in it. Unless you are flashing your Goldcard and Nikon about, you are probably not going to be a top target for thieves, if you go about hugging your bag, patting your wallet pocket etc you are telling the thieves that a/ you have something worth nicking and b/ where it is!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I put all my valuables in a big, clunky, amateur looking bar bag - and I keep hold of it all the time. :D I also have a bit of cord in it and have been known to tie it to things like luggage trollies when at an airport and you could do the same with a supermarket trolly. As already mentioned, it is no different to a handbag - or a rucksack. Put your valuables in it and look after it.
kolb

Post by kolb »

Use a bar bag whilst on the bike. Off the bike I carry the bar bag but put wallet, passport, etc into zipped pockets. But then I wear ordinary shorts whilst touring rather than lycra biking shorts.
climo

Post by climo »

I asked recently about a soft bag, the kind you would normally carry over your shoulder, with a barbag fixing. It could have a supporting basket like frame which stayed on the bike. Much more comfortable to carry & less like carrying a hat box. Sadly no one knew of any.
I guess a very large barbag / shopping basket with a soft bag in it would work but not as neat. Gap in the market as it would sell to urban short distance cyclists IMO.

You could use a pacsafe bag and bodge a bracket to it?? Cut proof off the bike
22camels

Post by 22camels »

I am over reacting a bit yes. Good point about body language - patting my wallet and bag is one of my bad habits.

I think a bar bag is closer to a handbag, though I have zero experience of the latter :). I don't think it's like a rucksack/backpack - when I go for a walk into town with my backpack, I usually have my keys, wallet and phone in my pockets, I might have valuables in the backpack too, but the point is they are not all in one bag.

kolb wrote:Use a bar bag whilst on the bike. Off the bike I carry the bar bag but put wallet, passport, etc into zipped pockets. But then I wear ordinary shorts whilst touring rather than lycra biking shorts.

- this is better. But I guess you mean the longer off the bike stops, like when you check into a hotel/campsite and go for a walk around town. That makes sense. But what about all the shorter stops?
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

climo wrote:I asked recently about a soft bag, the kind you would normally carry over your shoulder, with a barbag fixing. It could have a supporting basket like frame which stayed on the bike. Much more comfortable to carry & less like carrying a hat box. Sadly no one knew of any.
I guess a very large barbag / shopping basket with a soft bag in it would work but not as neat. Gap in the market as it would sell to urban short distance cyclists IMO.

What about this Handbag Hugger? It wouldn't fit all handlebars but could well suit urban utility bikes.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Where do you live and where do you tour? Someone mentioned Barcelona and that city is known for pickpockets. However so is London now. I think any big city you are more at risk of pickpockets and snatch artists. That is as true at home (in the UK) as overseas. More exotic locations I do not know but my guess if you had someone pointing a knife or gun at you there is a very good reason to give up you bar bag or other bag no matter what difference the valuables container makes I think the same thing happens, you are deprived of something. My partner got held up by knife to the throat once in South America. I reckon even the secret waist belt would be handed over in such a case.

I have read another paranoid thread on here recently. Not really paranoid but someone fretting about touring security in Western Europe, sounded like in the countryside / small towns too. At the end of the day in most of Western Europe take the same level of precautions you would for equivalent areas. Out in the countryside is less of a risk than major city like London, Barcelona, etc. Do not pat your valuables and above all act naturally. The whole idea of walking into town with your bar bag strap across your shoulder and your arm over it like you have a million dollars in diamonds in it just says to me "rob me! Rob me now!!!". I am not well travelled but I have been in a few cities and places with a bad rep before now. Never been robbed yet. My valuables tended to be in jeans front pocket or in a pair of hiking shorts in the front zipped pockets on the leg. I am aware of stuff around me and have a healthy level of risk awareness I think. I do not stress to the nth degree over a bag looking more interesting to thieves because at the end of the day i believe it is the professional you really have to worry about. They will know if the bar bag is worth nicking as much as a handbag or jacket pocket of some other person. You could be wearing a bumbag or a waist belt under your clothes. They will know it by your demeanour and the way you hold yourself. Can anyone wear a hidden waist security belt without patting their tummy where it is???

If you are truly worried then work out strategies to cope if you do get robbed. How to get a new passport? How to get money without card or other means? Sort that out then perhaps you can stress less about stopping the theft (which I think will happen if it is going to). Just my idea on this. Of course do not be stupid. Take a look at what locals are doing, e.g. barcelona locals wearing rucksacks on the front in their subways. However, I did see a tourist in Ambleside at the weekend with the same way of wearing a sack. That is overkill for the area and marks you out as worth robbing IMHO as much as wearing it the other way around.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

I live in the UK and for touring I've only been in Western Europe so far but am looking ahead - globally. I am not truly worried but just tried out a bar bag recently and wondering if they are worth sticking with. I've been around a fair bit on foot - so far only the northern hemisphere - and no nothing has happened. As you say, "My valuables tended to be in jeans front pocket or in a pair of hiking shorts in the front zipped pockets on the leg." - yes this is similar to how I have travelled, and yet "The whole idea of walking into town with your bar bag strap across your shoulder and your arm over it like you have a million dollars in diamonds in it just says to me "rob me! Rob me now!!!"" - yes this is exactly what I mean! So a bar bag is perfectly safe if carried without an arm over it?

I did a backpacking trip crossing many countries three years ago, and carried an SLR in its own bag - separately, outside the rucksack, and was very self conscious of it all the way through, I thought it made me stand out as a tourist. People will say you will stand out no matter what, but there is a way of looking more tourist and less tourist.

Sure, body language matters more, but my point with the bar bag, is, it is so convenient to chuck everything in there, that no matter what, if you lose that one bag, you're screwed. I'm not so sure that's a good idea.
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

I don't think bar bags pose a bad security risk , but if in a dodgy country doing a moving on tour (I got robbed at gun point in Mexico many years ago on a ctc tour) spread your valuable about. On this occasion I did the standard, wallet with one or tow days local currency, a pile of one dollars with a 10 and a 5 on the front and expired credit cards. You hand this over , they are nervous and they don't have time to look at it in detail generally , so I just lost about £30 , the other couple that got robbed had everything in a bum bag and lost a lot including passports.

Its about accessing the place and the risk .

If I was worried in a country with reliable access to cash points just carry 2 days money and 2 cards hidden say in your shoes