best iphone satnav for spain

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
henrik

best iphone satnav for spain

Post by henrik »

Off on another spanish trip but want to dispense with map. Is there an free app that i could download routes and navigate my way easily with the iPhone either using earphones in my back pocket or simply mounted on handlebars?
garibeet

Re: best iphone satnav for spain

Post by garibeet »

Not sure about a turn by turn vocal description but something like orux could be used as a bar mounted satnav/gps. Battery usage can be an issue, though having the screen pretty low can help quite a bit, also using airplane mode during the day etc. Given the speed one would travel on a bike I am not sure how useful the vocal element would be, except maybe in towns etc for directing into streets? I would guess that a mapping app and a little time spent making a few cue-cards would be more use IMO.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

garibeet wrote:...also using airplane mode during the day etc....

If doing this, make sure you have upgraded to iOS 8.3. (important if this is what you need to do).

Ian
dandru

Post by dandru »

Psamathe wrote:

If doing this, make sure you have upgraded to iOS 8.3. (important if this is what you need to do).

Ian

Funny you mention that because a few days ago I saw the Gps working on airplane mode and thought it was odd, so I tested it out properly yesterday and it works well.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

dandru wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Funny you mention that because a few days ago I saw the Gps working on airplane mode and thought it was odd, so I tested it out properly yesterday and it works well.

A lot depends on how the app uses the GPS. Not every app will switch on the GPS. I tried Apple's own maps and it didn't have much success (but I was indoors so not 100%), whereas MapOut and ViewRanger seem fine. I wont bother playing/testing Apple Maps further 'cos it's a useless waste of space (poor mapping, low functionality).

Ian