Edinburgh airport

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
matt2matt2002

Edinburgh airport

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I have done a search here but not found an answer to this question:
I will be flying into Edinburgh airport at the end of my tour. My bike will be boxed and my wife will meet me in our small car and take my panniers back home.
Has anyone un-boxed a bike at the airport and then cycled to a train station?
I know the trams are now running.
Do they allow a bike on - un-booked?

I have to return to Aberdeen so want to catch a train there.
Our car isn't big enough to take the bike and panniers.
It's an early flight arrival- so I have time to catch the train home

Thanks folks

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Elizabeth_S

Re: Edinburgh airport

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Now I do know the answer to this, there is a bike trial with the trams in May, so I guess the answer is generally no. https://edinburghtrams.com/news/bikes-on-board.
Otherwise, you could cycle as far as Edinburgh Park train station (using the pavements, I have seen people cycling along the A8 pavements and you can cross at the RBS on a pedestrian bridge or you can go under the A8 at the airport road end on pavements) and the Aberdeen train stops there. There is a map of cycle routes in Edinburgh http://edinburgh.cyclestreets.net/
I have spent the last few days trying to figure out how to get yougest son to Edinburgh airport on the bus from Stirling and back again so I've spent some time looking at the walking routes around the airport to get him the last bit between Ingliston showground and the airport. Don't ask it has been dreadful, he's 18 and clueless, but the trains are now back on so he will take the train to Edinburgh Park then the tram (a jaw-dropping £5 for 2 or 3 stops one way) into the airport and then reverse it to get home with girlfriend). The tram fare is much, much lower if you cycle to the next stop at the park and ride and it is a safe cycle to there!
irc

Post by irc »

Can't help with your question but have I read it wrong? Your wife is driving from Aberdeen to Edinburgh to take your panniers home??
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

irc wrote:Can't help with your question but have I read it wrong? Your wife is driving from Aberdeen to Edinburgh to take your panniers home??

Err.
Yes.
:oops:
Now you have (kindly) pointed it out I'll have a rethink.
Sounds crazy I know.

Because of time restraints etc. I have to box the bike at home, hirer a van, drive down from Aberdeen to Edinburgh with my wife and panniers ( mustn't forget the panniers).
Be dropped off at the airport - and my wife drive the van back to Aberdeen ( without me, the bike or my panniers)
I guess we thought it would be best to do a reverse process - but avoid the hassle and cost of the van - since the bike can be unboxed on arrival at Edinburgh.

Many thanks for stirring the grey matter.

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

for your return journey... there's no train station within cycling distance, you'd be better off just cycling into Edinburgh centre (flat and straight, along Corstorphine Rd and through Haymarket).

EDIT: I was wrong, no bikes on trams...

http://edinburghtrams.com/information/conditions-of-carriage

Not allowed: "bicycles except if specifically permitted by way of notices along with publication of the applicable conditions on the Company’s website. Folding bicycles which are folded and fully enclosed in a suitable carrying bag will be carried providing there is space available on the tram to do so."

cheers,
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

If you are weary and it's pouring rain, you can put bike in a taxi at airport. Waverley, £25ish, Edinburgh Park probably £10ish.
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

I knoow nothing about Edinburgh or Scotlandshire trains

but I was curious and have too much time on my hands

according to openstreetmap and the friendly google map you could cycle the 3.2 miles from the airport to South Gyle Station where I assume you could board a train (I assume that Scotrail do take bikes by your ambition get to a train station) to wherever it is in Edinburgh that you can catch a train to Aberdeen

Edit - it is confirmed that I know nothing about Scotlandshire - as I said being curious - I checked the trains - going to Edinburgh is the wrong way :) - looks lie there are regular stoppers (which I assume you wouldnt need a reservation) to Dundee from Sooth Gyle - and a pleasant service to Aberdeen from Dundee - feel free to smack me with a freshly smoked kipper if this is all bull
Will

Post by Will »

Cycle to South Gyle, take a train to Inverkeithing, and then change onto a train to Aberdeen.

Will