Five Pits Trail, Derbyshire

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ferdinand

Five Pits Trail, Derbyshire

Post by ferdinand »

I had cause to ride on this route yesterday afternoon in search of my bimonthly supply of coffee beans. About 12 miles along former railway, with some extensions should you wish.

It is part of National Route 67 from roughly Alfreton to Chesterfield, and it is much improved over the last time I was up there some years ago. Highly recommended, though there are 3-4 miles road cycling at the Chesterfield end, which is a long hill into Chesterfield, or drag long drag out, probably to avoid in rush hour.

There are railway stations both ends, so it can be a 40 mile round trip with a bail out should it be needed, or a 20 mile one way.

Ferdinand
Slowroad

Re: Five Pits Trail, Derbyshire

Post by Slowroad »

Useful info - I'm planning to be doing this route on Friday as part of a short tour circumnavigating the Peak District.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Slowroad

Do you have a good route from Nottingham to the general area of M1J28?

I haven't found one that is a good ride yet. I know people who commute to work in the City Centre via Ravenshead- Newstead or Hucknall, but currently haven't found a route I like.

Ferdinand
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I'm afraid I can't improve on the route on cycle paths past Hucknall or NCN6 then side roads through Sutton, Kirkby etc. Not an area I head for often, for that reason!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

I think there's potential west of the M1, which could be Erewash Valley Trail to Langley Mill or NCN67 to Heanor then backroads to Alfreton.

But I haven't tried it yet.

One point is that it is all hillier round here than people think; if I go to Chesterfield net descent is 500ft.

F
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

ferdinand wrote:
One point is that it is all hillier round here than people think; if I go to Chesterfield net descent is 500ft.

F

its nearly that much for me and I'm only five miles away!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!