Rack Pack for Tubus Airey

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Rack Pack for Tubus Airey

Post by mnichols »

Anyone using or can recommend a rack pack for the Tubus Airey?

It has a very narrow top
pwa

Re: Rack Pack for Tubus Airey

Post by pwa »

I'm afraid that when I decided I wanted to use a rack pack (I love the Carradice Super C) I found my narrow topped Tubus Vega far too narrow to get it stable. I replaced it with the Tortec Ultralite (about £24) which is less robust but still well made, and light. A lot of Tubus racks are ridiculously narrow on top, but the Cargo on my tourer is perfect for a rack pack. the Airey is otherwise a high end quality item, and Tubus need to take a look at this problem. I would have bought one by now if it were not for this. The Super C rack pack on an Ultalite rack is rock solid, with all the capacity of a saddle bag and none of the stability issues. If you do find a solution for the Airey I will be interested.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The whole point of the Airy is that its for two small side bags and not a top bag. Tubus don't need to look at it, they already have!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Okay, maybe the Airy is right for its purpose (panniers), but it would be nice if Tubus would make a light rack with a wide top for rack packs. I have to go to Tortec for that at the moment.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I think Tubus do have something in their 'Racktime' range that is closer to the Tortec Ultralight - i'm sure there was one fitted on the Specialized AWOL we had thru a few weeks ago.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

foxyrider wrote:The whole point of the Airy is that its for two small side bags and not a top bag. Tubus don't need to look at it, they already have!

Which panniers do you use?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pretty much any 'front' panniers - my choice would be Ortliebs. You might get away with some of the smaller rear bags but bear in mind that there isn't the same degree of support - particularly important as the bags lay on the rack rather than hang from.

I have a Ti Carry which takes full size bags but that has the extra rear support bars.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Interesting point about the panniers lying on the rackv rather than hanging. Hadn't considered that