NCN 82 from Tywyn to Trawsfynydd

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
deliquium

NCN 82 from Tywyn to Trawsfynydd

Post by deliquium »

Any advice and experience re this route? Several off road/tracks involved it seems. During this month or June/July?

Wishing to cycle well loved smooth tarmac lanes from Nantgwynant to Porthmadog (13 miles) - then train to Tywyn - and ride back to Nantgwynant

Is it do-able on an old fashioned touring bike (1992 Longstaff with 32mm Vittoria Pro Randonneurs)?

Or do I need another reason to put a pair of Schwalbe 1.9" Landcruisers on the unsold repainted 1991 Raleigh Blueridge 531?
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
CREPELLO

Re: NCN 82 from Tywyn to Trawsfynydd

Post by CREPELLO »

Hi

I've done both off road sections on a tourer in the past - that being, the hill road up from the Dysynni valley and Coed Y Brenin. Tyres would have been 32 to 35mm section. Just make sure you avoid the old road (Sarn Helen?) west of Moel Ddu, which is very rutted. It's not on a cycle route, but I missed the Route 82 signs (if they were there) in Coed Y Brenin and ended up on this track, which I had to walk. The hill road east of Coed Y Brenin is also an alternative which is nice going.

HTH :)
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

CREPELLO wrote:Hi

I've done both off road sections on a tourer in the past - that being, the hill road up from the Dysynni valley and Coed Y Brenin. Tyres would have been 32 to 35mm section. Just make sure you avoid the old road (Sarn Helen?) west of Moel Ddu, which is very rutted. It's not on a cycle route, but I missed the Route 82 signs (if they were there) in Coed Y Brenin and ended up on this track, which I had to walk. The hill road east of Coed Y Brenin is also an alternative which is nice going.

HTH :)

Thanks Jerry - info much appreciated :)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I think the official NCN 82 route has switched to and from Sarn Helen, but yes, don't go over Sarn Helen - it's unrideable. If you have a GPS with an NCN map on then take it, otherwise take a print-out - finding the right track isn't too obvious.

Worth doing, though, it's a great route. I'd probably go for the Landcruisers tbh, but you may be more hardy than me!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:I think the official NCN 82 route has switched to and from Sarn Helen, but yes, don't go over Sarn Helen - it's unrideable. If you have a GPS with an NCN map on then take it, otherwise take a print-out - finding the right track isn't too obvious.

Worth doing, though, it's a great route. I'd probably go for the Landcruisers tbh, but you may be more hardy than me!

Thanks for your input Richard.

Looking to partially dip my toes into mixed terrain stuff - mainly to get off the beaten track without coming unstuck.

Not to mention fancying building up yet another old bike into a multi mode steed :)
Current pedalable joys