Paneuropa Radweg - France

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
danandjen

Paneuropa Radweg - France

Post by danandjen »

Hello,
We are off to cycle in Europe this Summer. Our plans so far are London to Paris on the Avenue Verte, Paris to Strasbourg on the Paneuropa Radweg, Strasbourg to Basel on Eurovelo 5/15 and back to the Atlantic on the Eurovelo 6.

We are having an okay time finding route details for all of the above but not for Paris to Strasbourg on the Paneuropa Radweg. From what I've read so far the French part is not well signposted and I suspect is composed of a variety of local routes but I am having trouble finding out what they are.

I've been to the paneuropa-radweg.de site (which doesn't work in English very well) which lists the towns but not the route numbers on the French side.

Has anybody done this route or found a detailed guide/map of the French section?
ConRAD

Re: Paneuropa Radweg - France

Post by ConRAD »

Hi there,
I've been doing the past year the portion Strasbourg-Nurnberg and planning to do now the Strasbourg-Paris.
I didn't use any maps at all, just relied on gpx tracks downloaded from the Paneuropa Radweg website that, I have to say, worked pretty well.
From their site you can download as well the French portion, it's true, the names of the several paths are not mentioned ... so if you want just make use maps it might be a little problem (sometime).
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I did the whole of the Paneuropa Radweg in 2013, from Paris to Prague. The first sign I saw on the route was in Germany, just after crossing the Rhine! The route in France is a mixture of canal towpaths (some quite overgrown and rough), quiet roads and the occasional good tarmac cycle path. The route basically follows the Marne river from Paris to Vitry-le-François and then a canal that links the Marne to the Rhine in Strasbourg.

For route-finding we had four 'Top 100' IGN maps (1:100,000 scale), and copied the route from the gpx track on the Paneuropa website onto them with a highlighter.

In general we had no problems except for one part just after Dormans, where the Paneuropa route appears to go up a very steep and muddy mountain bike trail through the vineyards. In a few other places we took nearby small roads to avoid particularly rough sections of canal towpath.

I'd definitely recommend the route, it goes through some interesting places with some varied terrain. For accommodation, the youth hostel in Saverne and the municipal campsite in Bar-le-Duc were both really good. However, it might be hard to follow the route without a fairly detailed map or a GPS.
danandjen

Post by danandjen »

Thanks, as suspected the signs won't be as lovely as when we did the Rhine last year.

I am planning to map the route using maps.me on an ipod. The ipod has GPS and I bookmark key points on the map. Combined with a pen and piece of paper of the daily route, I hope this works. I've tried to import the paneuropa radweg GPS into maps.me and it's not working so I'm manually bookmarking.

We've done a few long distance cycles, not necessarily on national routes and navigation always seems to be a problem, not getting lost, more the constant stopping to check direction takes so much time!