What bike would you suggest as a tourer and every day use

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

I need to go down to just one bike and am not sure where to start.

I currently have a road bike, an old shopper and was looking at getting a dedicated tourer. An upcoming house move means I realistically need to own just one bike. I need something I can ride to the shops etc. but doesn't look so fancy that it will be a target for thieves. I will also use it for long day rides and shortish tours.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
mercalia

Re: What bike would you suggest as a tourer and every day us

Post by mercalia »

well anything that is nice is also nice to thieves? I would try hard to keep the shopper and get rid of the road bike and think of a tourer to replace it. I live in a block of flats 4 floors up and have to carry my 1-Down up 3 flight of narrow steps, if there is a will there is a way. My flat is small also. I am sure you could find some where to keep both bikes if u really had to.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

The Jamis Aurora might fit the bill and looks suitably toned down to possibly avoid catching the interest of the local magpies. If the risk of theft is that high I'd go for a skip find or second-hand tourer.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
PH

Post by PH »

Get whatever tourer floats your boat, I'd suggest you think hard about the amount of luggage capacity you need, makes no sense to me to get a bike designed to carry four panniers round the world and never use it to half it's potential. Maybe an Audax style bike would make you miss the road bike less.
For a shopper, if space is an issue get a cheap folder. Either something quite modern like a 20" wheel Dahon which turn up second hand at reasonable money, or go retro with one of the Raleigh 20 derivatives which can be had for peanuts.
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

Thanks for the replies!

I should have mentioned that I will be on a fairly limited budget so will be looking for second hand.

Maybe I can get an older Dawes Galaxy or similar and switch the dropped bars for something more upright. Would something like this tend to be overlooked by thieves if I removed the stickers?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-DAWES-GALAXY-TOUR-BIKE-FOR-SALE-/281695018999?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item419654dff7

Unfortunately we (family of 4 + dog) are moving into a small one bed place with extremely limited space where I can have one bike or no bike. I'm hoping the no bike thing won't happen. :wink:
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Just to add to the advice above:

As already mentioned, you could keep the shopper and replace the road bike with a good tourer. If you're able to bide your time, a second hand one in good condition will often be better value for money. If the shopper is tatty enough, can it be kept on the ground floor in a communal hallway or storage area? Perhaps with a wall/floor ring to chain it to? Otherwise, there are all sorts of ways to store bikes in small flats – wall hung racks or ceiling mounts etc, if your landlord is agreeable (assuming you're renting).

For one bike, you could look for a second hand rigid mountain bike (i.e no suspension) as these can make very good tourers providing the frame has mounts for full mudguards and a rack, and you change the knobbly tyres to slicks. This may be less attractive to thieves.

Folders, as also mentioned, are a good space-saving solution. You haven't mentioned your budget and they can be expensive but you could find a good deal second hand. I use a Dahon Helios P8 20" wheel as my runaround and it's great. Depending on what type of touring you want to do, it would also make a very practical tourer with light loads.

Edit: just seen your post. You might want to investigate the 2nd hand mountain bike idea for a tight budget. Good luck!
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tourers are very practical bikes, and do most things quite well. My own tourer (a Thorn Club Tour, much modified) is great for commuting, riding a few miles to the shops, and just enjoying long rides on the lanes. It is a tad slower than a light road bike, but (with lower tyre pressure) is a bit more comfortable.

For a faster ride, but with mudguards and a rack for the shopping, an audax style "light tourer" combines some of the practicality and comfort of a tourer with some of the zip of a road race bike. If your touring is to be lightly loaded, that could be perfect for you.

For either of the 2 types, tourer or audax, there are plenty of models online. My own first port of call would be Spa Cycles, whose range of own brand tourers and audax bikes are very highly rated but not too expensive. But there are other good brands out there, so look around for something that appeals to you.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I built myself a very nice tourer on an LHT frame a couple of years ago, then realised that I really prefer Audaxing.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Any bike can be made to look like a piece of junk with a can of matt black spray paint. :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I know that people don't like to store their bikes outside, but the only real disadvantage is exposure to the elements. A cover will deal with most of that.

Find a reasonable place to lock you bikes up outside and put covers on them. Or keep one nice bike indoors, and keep the others outside under covers.

Can you have a small shed?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

The thing I like about Surly LHT and DT is that they don't particularly stand out and even somewhere like Afrika they haven't got the same trendy allure.

That said bike thieves in the UK are an educated bunch and I wonder if the LHT & DT are on their hit list. Haven't got down to Brick Lane to see what's on offer [emoji61]

Edit: When I used to commute in London 10+ years ago some couriers wrapped their bikes in inner tubes. Heavy but good visual and scratch protection...b
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 18 May 2015, 9:37am, edited 1 time in total.
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

Vorpal wrote:Can you have a small shed?

possibly. The "garden" is 7' x 3'.

Luckily not in London, moving to a small town in Lincolnshire where crime is relatively low but still exists.

I'd be happy to make a nicer bike look ugly if it deterred thieves.
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

I've used a Surly Long Haul Trucker as my only bike for years, for town and touring trips. It's one of the few bikes that's powder coated, so has a muted/dull-ish colour once it's been ridden a bit. It's a perfect finish for a touring bike, as it doesn't look special at all. It's also, thankfully, a fantastic bike.

I'm racing a Surly Disc Trucker in this years Transcontinental Race (Flanders -> Istanbul). This is the great thing about some frames, they can be reconfigured into whatever you're doing. The Surly can be built-up with four panniers and strong wheels for some off the beaten path touring, all the way to lighter compenents and a saddle pack and you can go racing. When you live with one bike versatility is valuable.

cheers,
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

FarOeuf wrote:I've used a Surly Long Haul Trucker as my only bike for years, for town and touring trips.

How does the sizing work on Surly LHT? I currently ride a women's 58cm Trek road bike.
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

Thistle wrote:
FarOeuf wrote:I've used a Surly Long Haul Trucker as my only bike for years, for town and touring trips.

How does the sizing work on Surly LHT? I currently ride a women's 58cm Trek road bike.

some UK bike shops now carry Surly, so check that first. The Effective Top Tube length is what Surly use (ETT), also known as Virtual Top Tube length (VTT) and probably called other things too. Surly's take on it here : http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/spew_bike_fit

cheers,