Panniers still don't fit my new rack!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
3spd

Panniers still don't fit my new rack!

Post by 3spd »

Just put a Tortec Epic on my bike and my Carradice Super C rear panniers don't fit. :-(
The rail with the anti sway catch is either in line with bottom rail or too close (I have two different rear panniers an early one with a small pocket red catches and a later one big pocket, grey catches*) has anyone found a way round this?

*Somebody unknown to me borrowed one when I left it on the bike in town.
Last edited by 3spd on 1 Jun 2015, 1:12pm, edited 4 times in total.
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!
khain

Re: Panniers don't fit my new rack!

Post by khain »

The anti-sway catches on the Super-Cs are a bit crap. However, they work ok on a Tubus Logo, which looks very similar to the Tortec Epic. Maybe you'll need to send the rack back and get something else. I wouldn't go for a low-rider as the Super-Cs are so large they interfere with the derailler on my bike.

It's shocking how poor rack/pannier compatibility is. You'd think it would be a simple thing to get right. I had the exact same problem as you with a Tortec/Revolution combo and had to use a strap to stop the panniers flapping about. I wouldn't recommend that though.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

My 2 super c's have different top rail to lower rail heights 16cm and 17cm.
My Super C Shopper pannier measures 14cm and fits fine!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I think I am going to have a similar problem with my Super C's on a new Tubus Cargo that I am thinking of fitting. I bought it dirt cheap in Evan' s sale, so not to bad if it doesn't work.

I am currently using a TorTec Expedition and they fit fine. On the Cargo, the natural p!ace to attach the anti-sway is the up and over strut, but it is recessed and well inboard of the panniers.

I read on here a few years ago about someone who got round this with 2 clips on the front stay, so I will have a look.

It makes you realise that you need to check pannier/rack compatibility before buying. I think many would assume all fit all as standard.

These things are sent to try us!
khain

Post by khain »

3spd wrote:My 2 super c's have different top rail to lower rail heights 16cm and 17cm.

Are they a set? If so that's pretty dodgy. Carradice seem to have a problem with quality control. I had to use an old tyre to get my bar bag mount to fit.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

As explained in the 'opener' I had two small pocket ones but one was stolen and the replacement is slighy different.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I suspect that my own Carradice Super Cs are older than yours as I know not of these anti-sway catches of which you speak. I've looked them up though to understand the problem :wink: .

Over the years Carradice have made many styles of hook and a different variety might raise or lower things enough to resolve the issue.

Sourcing some could be more problematic.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
3spd

Post by 3spd »

As well as asking here I also asked the good people at Carradice.

They got back to me very promptly are going to replace both anti sway catch rails with the latest spec ones and just for the cost of the parts n postage! :-)
What brilliant service :-)
There were back within a week but....

....unfortunately they still do not fit!

So it's time I think to replace the new rack with an even newer rack!
I do like having a "dropped" rail as per the Tortec Epic and Expedition the later of which works fine but I just fancied something a bit less 'big'.
3spd

Re: Panniers still don't fit my new rack!

Post by 3spd »

Rack suggestions greatly appreciated.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tubus Logo or go superlight with a Carry Ti :P
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Remaerd

Post by Remaerd »

Anyone want a Tubus Airy

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/tubu ... oCq6rw_wcB

The description seems suggest it's the ti one at half price but it also says titan coloured.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Remaerd wrote:Anyone want a Tubus Airy

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/tubu ... oCq6rw_wcB

The description seems suggest it's the ti one at half price but it also says titan coloured.

Airy is only available in raw Ti colour as are all the tubus Ti racks
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!