Scotland: The 'deadly' A9

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rollinbone

Scotland: The 'deadly' A9

Post by rollinbone »

I am planning routes for a trip which hopefully will involve a ride down the 'Speyside Way'
See: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/speyside-way.shtml
This starts just east of Inverness and follows the river Spey up into the Cairngore mountain range.

I hope to return home via Edinburgh but it seems that the only option is the A9 trunk road
These and the A roads I try to avoid due to traffic, but this one seems to be the only road of any type that leads me south and out to the mountains.

I came across this:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26389280

Along with other web pages on the subject of the A9 including one with title of 'Why the A9 is deemed Scotlands 'deadliest' road' (STV news)

These are offputting to say the least

Does anyone have any cycling experience of this road, and if so is it as bad a it seems from these pages??
FarOeuf

Re: Scotland: The 'deadly' A9

Post by FarOeuf »

the A9 has accidents mainly because there's a mix of slow (caravans/tourists) and fast (locals/tourists) traffic which some folk lack the patience for. In my experience the worst section (for poor driving decisions) is from Dalwhinnie to Perth.

there are alternatives depending on where you're joining the A9. There's a cycle path from the Dalwhinnie section south, and you could continue on the route south on the B847 through Trinafour and down via Amulree and Crieff towards Edinburgh.

where are you leaving the Cairngorms, and joining the A9?
Ron

Post by Ron »

There's a lot of sensationalist claptrap written and much steam generated by petrolheads with regard to the A9, it is one of the longer trunk roads in Scotland and few people take this into consideration when comparing crash statistics with much shorter trunk roads. The installation of average speed cameras has dramatically curbed the antics of the racers, but I would still not choose to cycle on the Inverness Perth section of the A9 but there is no need to as there is an alternative route running parallel all the way between Inverness and Perth. This route is on the local road network and on purpose built cycle path. Some short sections of the cycle path are of poor quality but balanced against the noise and fumes of the A9 are preferable IMV.
See Sustrans maps for NCN 7 Lochs and Glens North for north of Pitlochry and NCN 77(?) for Perth to Pitlochry. Other maps are available!
khain

Post by khain »

I've cycled the A9 and it isn't much fun, particularly coming out of Inverness where you have a very long uphill with fast-moving traffic. Going the other way isn't so bad and at off-peak times can be pretty good fun as it's a long downhill.

Unfortunately there isn't an easy alternative. Any other route means a long detour getting out of Inverness. Heading east to Grantown-on-Spey then down the A93 is a much more interesting cycle but is very tough - check a map to see all the high gradient indicators. There's also an NCN route which roughly follows the A9 route but meanders a lot and is of variable quality.

I definitely wouldn't use the A9 unless I was in a hurry.
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

FarOeuf wrote:where are you leaving the Cairngorms, and joining the A9?

Thanks all for replies
I'm OK with B roads until a place called 'Newtonmore' then down to 'Colvine'
Between those places there does seem to be some minor roads running alongside in some place but not others eg:-
OS map: A9 between Newtonmore and Colvine
OS map: A9 between Newtonmore and Colvine

This particular section seems to be between two mountains?

Anyway the railway runs alongside the A9 at that point and there's stations @ both the above towns along with campsites
So I could decide to jump on a train I suppose if I feel the need to chicken out.
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

cycle path down the side of the A9 from Dalwhinnie, then you can take the Trinafour turn off. Or, there are minor roads all the way down to Perth, B8079, A924 at Pitlochry. There're minor roads both sides of the A9 between Pitlochry and Dunkeld and further to Bankfoot. Further minor roads will take you to Moneydie and on to Perth.

Maybe you need a larger scale map? Here could be a starter route, that you can modify as you see fit.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7901605
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

I'd suggest using Google maps (or lookup the NCN routes online), your paper map looks out of date. There's a cycle path (and bits of the old A9) between the two locations you mention.

cheers
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

There's no need to use the A9 itself. There are bits where there's a roadside cycle track that's got a gravel surface, but nothing I wouldn't take my 700x28 gatorskins on.

Use http://cycle.travel/map
Click on start, click on end, and it will suggest a route. It tends to be fond of cycle tracks, and will do things like blast straight through a town on them rather than diverting round the town, but you can drag & drop to adjust the route if you don't like the suggestion.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yeah.
Old A9 for me every time.

Come out of Inverness on the Old A9 up to Bogbain now the B9177. Nip onto the A9 and whiz downhill to the Moy turning. B9154 this is the Old A9 again.

From there, there are cycle tracks that'll get you to the turning for Tomatin onto the Old A9 again. Cross the Findhorn Bridge then cycle tracks and bits of the Old A9 over Slochd Summit and into Carrbridge on the A938 and B9153. This is the Old A9 still.

Keep going, join the A95 (Old A9) and B9152 (Old A9) for Aviemore then A86 through Kingussie and Newtonmore Old A9 yet again :D

From Newtonmore, take the B9150 and cycle track to Etteridge and join the Old A9 (General Wade's Military Rd) for Dalwhinnie.

It's cycle tracks over Drumochter Pass, then down the other side. Personally, I'd get on the A9 at that point because its 20 miles of downhill. You can freewheel at over 30mph for ages and ages and ages. :D I last did this on my Raleigh Chopper, so I know. :D

At Calvine, you can get on the Old A9 (B8079 and later B8019) ok and follow it through Blair Atholl and Killiecrankie down to Pitlochry.

Hope that helps! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Have a look at the statistics here: http://a9road.info/safety-statistics/statistics/ which as I thought, Dunblane to Perth is in need of new accesses at junctions that are safer for everyone, not just cars but also pedestrians and cyclists, north of Perth it is the single lane sections and lorries, north of Inverness it goes back to junctions. If they don't change the junctions on the new dualled sections it will remain a dangerous road.
Do you have to go to Perth? As an alternative from Pitlochry you could go over the hill to Aberfeldy on minor roads and from there down the Sma' Glen to Crieff and then over on minor roads via Braco to Dunblane or Bridge of Allan and get the train there into Edinburgh. Longer but a nice route and you may be able to wild camp on the way.
irc

Post by irc »

What bike are you using. If it can cope with a bit of roughstuff then the Gaick Pass is a nice route from Kingussie to Blair Atholl completely avoiding the A9. I;ve done it on a rigid MTB with 26x2 tyres but a tourer with reasonably wide tyres would be fine. There was a few hundred yards of pushing otherwise all rideable.

As bad as it gets. Singletrack along the loch.
As bad as it gets. Singletrack along the loch.

bridgeornot.jpg

This desc covers it pretty well. It is infinitely better than the cycle path beside the A9 with associated traffic noise etc.

http://www.davebanks.com/uk/route_8.htm

From Blair Athol south the old A9 is good.
garibeet

Post by garibeet »

As has been suggested already, follow the NCR7. It is reasonably well signposted out of town, if you lose the signs follow the directions for Culloden battlefield and then pick up the route a few hundred metres beyond. I live in Aviemore and rode this route just 2 days ago to get home from the west coast, barely any traffic and really nice scenery. Pretty nice riding too in fairness, the route follows the old A9 for the most part once you get south of Inverness.
The cycle.travel map link is great, it will more than likely default a cycle friendly route such as Route 7 anyhow. I know that it is clearly marked on the map so selecting it and printing it is fine if you have a printer etc.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

irc wrote:What bike are you using. If it can cope with a bit of roughstuff then the Gaick Pass is a nice route from Kingussie to Blair Atholl completely avoiding the A9. I;ve done it on a rigid MTB with 26x2 tyres but a tourer with reasonably wide tyres would be fine. There was a few hundred yards of pushing otherwise all rideable.

A couple of years ago I was cycling near Kingussie and saw a couple with Surly LHTs and panniers turn off at Tromie bridge onto the Gaick Pass route - I wondered at the time where it went :) .
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

It's cycle tracks over Drumochter Pass, then down the other side. Personally, I'd get on the A9 at that point because its 20 miles of downhill. You can freewheel at over 30mph for ages and ages and ages. :D I last did this on my Raleigh Chopper, so I know. :D

This particular section was a life changer for me. http://sabrutat.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/science-and-wolf.html

Cheers

Stef
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

irc wrote:What bike are you using. If it can cope with a bit of roughstuff then the Gaick Pass is a nice route from Kingussie to Blair Atholl completely avoiding the A9. I;ve done it on a rigid MTB with 26x2 tyres but a tourer with reasonably wide tyres would be fine. There was a few hundred yards of pushing otherwise all rideable.

In answer to question about bike - touring bike is a 26" wheel Koga Signature that usually sports 26 x 1.6 tyres
Koga in day trip mode
Koga in day trip mode

Thanks all for help TD

Unfortunately I've had to cancel this trip in 2015 because of continuing tendinitis in my left leg - which I've had since I bashed the leg with handlebars when falling off twice in one ride on black ice 27/12/2013
(When I had tennis elbow it took 18 months to go away so was hoping this would do the same but no such luck. I may have to try to stop cycling for a few months for it to go away completely)
I was due to get a train to Hull today so feeling a bit frustrated. Then plan is to go up the coast via Holy Island and Edinburgh then round the coast to the Speyside Way - so don't get as far as Inverness
Then is over the Caingormes, hence the A9, and back to get a train from Edinburgh

Meanwhile I've printed out all your help and may even take that with me, next year I hope

I think not knowing precisely whats in front of you is part of the adventure of touring anyway, but some roads do terrify me