sealskinz socks

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: sealskinz socks

Post by Mick F »

Sealskinz Socks.
Rubbish!

I got my money back and threw the socks away.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28777

I was seriously considering taking the company to the Advertising Standards Authority as what they were advertising patently doesn't work.

I was wearing shorts, and my legs were bare. It's obvious to me that if I'd been wearing overtrousers, the water may not have got in. But that's not the point. They are aimed at cyclists, and the design is Hi-vis. ie they have a bright yellow band designed to be visible!

"Waterproof, close-fitting and seamless with a yellow cuff for added visibility. Ideal for cyclists or for use with lighter weight shoes."

They are waterproof just like wellies. It rains, and water pours in and has nowhere to go so just fills up. You end up wetter than if you were just in bare feet.
Mick F. Cornwall
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Mick F wrote:You end up wetter than if you were just in bare feet.

I use bare feet - SPD sandals and no socks.
Don't try to keep your feet dry - let them get wet, and ensure they dry off as fast as possible when it stops raining.
I find that my toes don't feel the cold as much as my fingers do - OK down to about 7, and bearable down to freezing, just about.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Mick F wrote:Sealskinz Socks.
Rubbish!

I got my money back and threw the socks away.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28777

I was seriously considering taking the company to the Advertising Standards Authority as what they were advertising patently doesn't work.

I was wearing shorts, and my legs were bare. It's obvious to me that if I'd been wearing overtrousers, the water may not have got in. But that's not the point. They are aimed at cyclists, and the design is Hi-vis. ie they have a bright yellow band designed to be visible!

"Waterproof, close-fitting and seamless with a yellow cuff for added visibility. Ideal for cyclists or for use with lighter weight shoes."

They are waterproof just like wellies. It rains, and water pours in and has nowhere to go so just fills up. You end up wetter than if you were just in bare feet.

If that's the description, it's an overshoe not a sock, so most of us are probably talking at cross purposes ! Quite why Sealskins would introduce the term "oversock" baffles me.

Eg
http://cycles4ume.co.uk/other/product/7 ... ycles.html

I can't see how something which has holders for cleats etc could be water proof as a product, so you have my sympathy Mick as their claim seems ambiguous. The just say it uses waterproof technology.

Unless I've got off on the wrong foot?

Ferdinand
Matthew 7:7. Ask, Seek, Sock.
hamish

Post by hamish »

I use sealskinz quite a lot. They obviously have limitations but I still find them very useful.

In terms of leaking through the fabric- they will puncture fairly easily and sometimes they have holes when new! I have taken new ones back and got them replaced! When they are new they are great and even when punctured, on the whole they Keep my feet drier than they would otherwise be. I live in Wales and ride in horrid weather in very boggy places so need all the help I can get to keep comfy.

They are especially useful in cold windy weather as they are wind proof and make summer shoes much much warmer.

It is obvious that they will fill up from the top. I knew that would happen. Even so:

- in drizzle it doesn't seem to be a problem and they keep my feet dry enough and lots warmer than without
- in snow they keep my feet dryer and warmer
- for bikepacking in boggy country they stop my socks getting soaked when walking
- if it's really wet then I use the end of heavy duty marigold gloves as a gaiter or 'gasket' around my ankles. Cut the fingers of the gloves off and pull the remaining tube up my ankle so they are tight like a drysuit seal at the top but the bottom is over the top of the sock. Any water that runs down my legs is then carried over the opening of the socks rather then into them. If you do this carefully it really works. The gloves rip after a while but they are fairly cheap so that's not too much of a problem. Some experimentation is needed to get the size and technique right!

Because I was getting fed up of leaky socks I tried Reed Aquatherm socks. https://www.chillcheater.com/aqshop/catalogue.php?id=3349&page=1Whilst these are not as comfy or breathable as Sealskinz they are much tougher and repairable. I use them in the winter over thick socks in very bad weather.

In summary, waterproof sock are not magic but if you are realsitic about what you expect them to do, they can keep your feet warmer and drier than without!

I can't believe I have just written all this about a pair of socks! Forums make you do funny things don't they?!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You can stand in a bath of water wearing those socks and have dry feet. It's amazing! I tried it and was greatly impressed. 100% waterproof.

It's that they cannot be used as described. You wear them with bare legs like is described ........... there's even a photo somewhere in their advertising blurb with a chap riding an MTB trough the mud and water with shorts and bare legs.

If you do that, water runs down your legs and fills your socks up. :lol:
Yes, they are waterproof .............. just like wellies are waterproof.
Mick F. Cornwall
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I only ever wear shorts when I cycle, no trousers for me.

Looks like I'll go with getting wet feet and saving the socks for the next day when I have to wear wet shoes and it's not raining as badly.

SPD sandals could definitely be a future purchase!
Si

Post by Si »

You wear them with bare legs like is described

Sounds like a job for duct tape :D
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

hamish wrote:- if it's really wet then I use the end of heavy duty marigold gloves as a gaiter or 'gasket' around my ankles. Cut the fingers of the gloves off and pull the remaining tube up my ankle so they are tight like a drysuit seal at the top but the bottom is over the top of the sock. Any water that runs down my legs is then carried over the opening of the socks rather then into them. If you do this carefully it really works. The gloves rip after a while but they are fairly cheap so that's not too much of a problem. Some experimentation is needed to get the size and technique right!

Ooooh thats a good idea. I'll certainly give this a go. Good "life-hack" Hamish, thank you.

hamish wrote:I can't believe I have just written all this about a pair of socks! Forums make you do funny things don't they?!

LOL, ah the interwebz!
22camels

Post by 22camels »

Just received my second pair in the post this morning (the previous pair definitely had a leak and not only through the top). Here is an extract from the message I've just sent off to Sealskinz:

"After opening the package, I turned them inside out, and carefully filled each of them with water from the tap making sure the outer side (i.e. the interior of the sock) was not exposed to water. One of the socks held the water in without any leaks. With the other sock, water was dripping, it had a small leak in the heel area. "

I hope I get a replacement :). Wonder how many of the new ones have this issue.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

22camels wrote:Just received my second pair in the post this morning (the previous pair definitely had a leak and not only through the top). Here is an extract from the message I've just sent off to Sealskinz:

"After opening the package, I turned them inside out, and carefully filled each of them with water from the tap making sure the outer side (i.e. the interior of the sock) was not exposed to water. One of the socks held the water in without any leaks. With the other sock, water was dripping, it had a small leak in the heel area. "

I hope I get a replacement :)
. Wonder how many of the new ones have this issue.

You will, if my exerience is anything to go by.

Leaving aside issues of whether the design is right, it does seem to me to be a company that stands behind its products as I've twice had to send a pair of gloves back when the cuff unravelled and both times received a new pair rather than their repairing mine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I think gloves are a different thing.
Wearing a glove on a bike, the wind comes at you and the cuffs are usually under your sleeves as you'll only be wearing gloves when it's cold.

Socks OTOH you may wear when it's wet and in shorts, just like the blurb shows.
I see that the socks I bought aren't available now. :lol:
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/socks?activity=road%20cycle
Mick F. Cornwall