Bikes on Trains in Spain

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Nigeldean

Bikes on Trains in Spain

Post by Nigeldean »

My sister and I are cycling to Santiago in the autumn, and want to travel on to Santander, from Santiago with our bikes by train - has any one done this ? advice and tips welcome.
MartinBrice

Re: Bikes on Trains in Spain

Post by MartinBrice »

forget the train, go by bus. the station is on the east of the town, the receptionists speak english and are very used to bikers. the fare is about £35 for you and about £10 for the bike ticket. you will need to take off the front wheel, turn it upside down and wrap it in a bag. you can do this by going to a small shop and buying some 100 litre bin bags and some parcel tape "tapas adhesivas para parcelas" and make so e bags. the first bus is at 5.30am, the bus station is behind and below the ticket sales point, you will stop halfway at a nice coffee stop, take some sandwiches if you want, the hotel in santander we used is
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi ... abria.html
the bikes go in the manager's office, there are places nearby to eat.
the train is a daft idea in spain, they are rare, infrequent, the lines are only in a few places. buses go everywhere. bikes are no problem, you just whip the front wheel out, turn itm upside down and bung the bag over to protect the other luggage. at the other end the bag goes in a rubbish bin. there is excellent free wifi on the buses, too.
garibeet

Post by garibeet »

Interesting, I plan to ride the Via de la Plata later this year and was wondering much the same thing, mainly as I was looking to fly somewhere central and then train to the beginning, back from the end. I shall look into the busses rather than train. Thanks.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

That's interesting Martin - I'll have to remember that.
I think the "Euskatren" ( Basque railway Bilbao to St Sebastian and Hendaye ) is good though - just take a bike on - a bit like our Southeastern )
Obviously only regional service.
biscaystorm

Post by biscaystorm »

Interesting post Martin. But happens if your front wheel is without packaging?

Just going back to the OP's question. The Euskatren only runs as far as Bilbao. For West bound passengers (Santiago) you have to
get a Feve train. These take bikes without any problems ( but do be warned these narrow gauge trains are painfully slow - so bring a good book with you).

As an aside, buses in Portugal, from my experience, will not accept un-packaged bikes at all.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I've used the FEVE narrow gauge train along the north coast but I am not sure how farweest the line extends. It is a delightful little railway but as mentioned not for anyone in a hurry.

There are no dedicated cycle facilities on them in my experience, you just wait on the platform where there is a disabled symbol and board there. Take some bits of cord with you to lash the bikes to the rails in the carriage. You might consider breaking the journey for an overnight stop somewhere.
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

It is a delightful little railway

I agree. It's possible to pick up the Feve train in Ferrol which is north west of Santiago. It runs across the north of Spain as far as the French border, although the operator changes further east. You can break up the journey in Oviedo and then go on to Santander from there. The train goes through some great countryside. I much preferred it to the bus and it's not an expensive option. No need to book. Another option is bus to Oviedo and then Feve train to Santander.

I was on the Camino de Santiago when I used it and the albergues in Oviedo and Santander were fine with me staying, because I still had my 'credential'.

http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....