Girona to Barcelona

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Girona to Barcelona

Post by robing »

Just a word of warning. If you're heading down the N 11 after Girona there's a 10 mile section that is now an Autovia and cycles are not allowed. There's no easy alternative that I could see.
FarOeuf

Re: Girona to Barcelona

Post by FarOeuf »

heading in the direction of Barcelona, at the beginning of the 'no cycling' signs you drop down off the N11 to the roundabout and take the parallel road to the left of the N11 (A2 autovia).

EDIT: from memory it just looks like a service road, and isn't sign posted.
robing

Post by robing »

Tried that, but these service roads or via servici are a bit unreliable. They seem to run out. Last year there was only about a mile of Autovia but they've completed the road and it's now a 10 mile stretch. I chanced it, it was a Sunday afternoon and luckily the Guardia Civil were having a siesta!
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

It's not a service road, it just looks like that. I cycled it in the opposite direction a month ago. it is pretty confusing though. A better alternative is off to the right (maybe a further mile inland), there's a route that takes you along the foot of the hills via Sant Celoni.
robing

Post by robing »

Can't argue with that if you've been on it. Similar thing happened on the c road south west out of Barcelona. A section becomes Autovia. But with the help of maps.me was fairly easy to navigate. That app is a life saver!