Cycle luggage trailers on DFDS Newcastle Ijmuiden ferry

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
chrisheg

Cycle luggage trailers on DFDS Newcastle Ijmuiden ferry

Post by chrisheg »

Hi
Can anyone advise me about taking small luggage trailers on the above ferry. Do you have to declare them and are they charged as extra. In talking to the admin at DFDS they do not seem to understand what sort of trailers they are. In theory we could take the luggage off and remove the trailer and take it to the cabin.
syklist

Re: Cycle luggage trailers on DFDS Newcastle Ijmuiden ferry

Post by syklist »

In my experience of other ferries the ferry operators don't seem interested in trailers as long as you book the bikes on. We took two ferries last summer with two bikes and a child trailer. On the booking websites there was no way to book the bike trailer on the ferry so we just booked the bikes on. On the day we checked in without any questions being asked about the trailer. YMMV.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

Do not recall seeing any one with a cycle trailer on that crossing. But do not think it will be a problem. Crew just direct cyclist to the cycle parking area - which is dead space too small for a car and leave cyclist to sort out stacking bikes against walls and if necessarily each other. The normal co-operation between the cyclist should sort it out.
shane

Post by shane »

The only problem is getting your trailer up the stairs :)

Imagedfds by Shane Cycles, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0662 by Shane Cycles, on Flickr
chrisheg

Post by chrisheg »

Thanks Shane
Did you have to take your trailer upstairs? We are planning a tour for twelve people and will have a number of trailers each with several plastic boxes containing individuals luggage. We will certainly take the boxes to cabins but would prefer to leave the trailer on car deck
shane

Post by shane »

Nope, didn't have to but that was my plan. Just remember that the guys on the car decks have no contact with customer services, bookings or the website. So, as long as you can get your bike and trailer where they want it without any hassle and smile then just about anything is possible :wink:
chrisheg

Post by chrisheg »

Thanks to Shane and all the other responses.