CTC Poly Bike Bag and Easyjet Questions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ChrisF

Re: CTC Poly Bike Bag and Easyjet Questions

Post by ChrisF »

I also returned from Nice a couple of days ago. I didn't want to carry a CTC bag all across France, so had planned on buying a box anyway. But on the same flight were two more bikes in CTC bags so it clearly depends on who's on the check-in desk for a particular flight, rather than the airport itself. Also, in the EasyJet smallprint, it says your bag/box should only contain a bike, not clothes etc. But I had all my camping gear in the box as well, and I also didn't let any air out of the tyres. They did ask the weight, so I guessed 25kg and they seemed happy.
By the way, last year I returned from Amsterdam and the bike boxes sold there are much stronger, and cleverly made so you don't need any tape to close them. I still have mine and will use it again. 30 euros though.
Also, while on the subject, I bought a new mattress a couple of weeks ago and the plastic bag it comes in is extremely similar to the CTC bike bag. Same size, same weight of polythene. So I have plenty of bags now!
Chris F, Cornwall
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I get a confirmation email from their Customer Care regarding acceptability of using "large see-through heavy-duty polythene bag" and also there being no need to deflate tyres.

The tyre deflation thing thing does not work, as it is either customs or baggage handlers that insist on deflating tyres. Well after the bike has been checked in and often tearing the bag in order to do so.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

A question for the more scientific amongst us: Given that bicycle tyres have to be deflated to avoid 'exploding'(?)at altitude, how come the aeroplane's tyres can be left inflated when going to the same height? Or,are they deflated/re-inflated by automation when at 10,000'?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Airplane tyres are designed for the pressure differential. Bike tyres aren't. But the difference is only about 1 bar or 15 psi, so it's unlikely to cause a tyre to blow.

TBH, I don't think it's really necessary to deflate tyres, but I'm not going to argue with people who think it is. They can keep me from putting my bike on the plane. And it only takes one authortarian jobsworth to make a bad day or journey experience.

So I deflate my tyres a bit, let out at least 15 psi, but leave enough air in them to protect the rims against most bumps, and tell the staff that the tyres have been deflated.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hillspecial

Post by hillspecial »

Just had a reply from Easyjet re CTC bike bags and their refusal to take our bikes in CTC bags on our return leg of our tour.

Emmmmmmm, receipt.

Hi ,

Thank you for your patience. We have clarified the issue with the airport {Nice, France} and I can confirm that {CTC} Polythene Bicycle Bags are allowed and you should be able to travel with them during your next flight with us. Remember, however, that the final decision always belongs to the airport crew. We apologise for all the inconvenience caused and, if you wish to be refunded for the boxes, feel free to send us valid receipts.

Regards,
Cathy
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Remember, however, that the final decision always belongs to the airport crew.

So no chance then?
hillspecial

Post by hillspecial »

bigjim wrote:
Remember, however, that the final decision always belongs to the airport crew.

So no chance then?

You've summed it up well there Big Jim! :-)
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

A quick question; when you are forced into using an airline supplied box, is it a standard bike box such as the ones used to ship new bikes to shops?
Do the wheels have to be removed to use it?

Thanks

Bob
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There isn't really a standard cardboard bike box. Every time I get one from my LBS it is different. The bike manufacturers use different boxes for different size bikes.

From airports, I have used Quantas boxes in Oz a couple of times, they are big and tough. The Easyjet boxes described above seem small and flimsy.

My 26" LHT normally fits in most boxes with front wheel off and forks turned 180 degrees. Size of bike is obviously important.
hillspecial

Post by hillspecial »

Hi Bob,
We got our 60 cm / XL framed Ridgeback 700c wheeled, drop barred, Panoama touring bikes fitted in the boxes.... Just ...... Seat pillar right down, handlebars off, pedals off. Kept wheels in the frame though. Box v v thin. About 1/4 of thickness that bikes are shipped to bike shops in. No hand holes in box. We had to borrow a roll of 2 inch wide , prob 50.8 mm as In France, parcel tape from the Nice Airport bag / box shop , no extra charge , as the boxes came flat packed and so tape was needed to hold the box together .

The staff at Liverpool kindly binned the boxes for us . Put bikes together . Cycled out of the airport to where Swmbo was waiting with the car , so avoiding the £8 charge to drive into the Airport grounds .
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Wiggle currently have CTC bags on offer with a massive(!) 10% discount 10.80 instead of 12 quid.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

bobzeller wrote:A quick question; when you are forced into using an airline supplied box, is it a standard bike box such as the ones used to ship new bikes to shops?
Do the wheels have to be removed to use it?

Both at Nice and at Amsterdam the boxes are long enough to hold my 56cm Galaxy without removing wheels.
The Nice ones not quite high enough, though, even with handlebars and seatpost removed, the top wouldn't fold down neatly. Also (as mentioned above) very flimsy.
The Amsterdam ones are just as long, but higher and much stronger, have 'handle holes' and also don't require any tape to hold together.
Chris F, Cornwall
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Thanks to all re my question as to the sizes of bike boxes from airlines.

Bob
hufty

Post by hufty »

tyreon wrote:A question for the more scientific amongst us: Given that bicycle tyres have to be deflated to avoid 'exploding'(?)at altitude, how come the aeroplane's tyres can be left inflated when going to the same height? Or,are they deflated/re-inflated by automation when at 10,000'?

Nearly all of a jet's fuselage is pressurised during a flight including the cargo hold, which is why dogs don't die in transit. I guess bicycle tyres in the hold are actually slightly less likely to burst during normal flight than on the ground as planes are usually overpressurised slightly. The plane's wheel bays are not pressurised but the change in atmospheric pressure experienced by the tyres will be nothing compared to the forces they have to cope with during landing.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Martin Luther King: I HAVE A DREAM...when all cyclists can go to an airport with their bicycles without fear and anxiety...when Easyjet and Ryanair and Jet2.com will all take bicycles of any shape and colour without prejudice,without turning away men and women of all nationalities who want to cycle the roads of our world...in peace. I have that dream. (Voice raises)I have that dream that a person can arrive at the airport with the CTC plastic bag knowing that the check-in staff wont turn away,or make difficult...(continues)
At end of speech 10,000 cyclists are seen cancelling their appointment to see their doctor to obtain anxiolytics brought about by stress induced image of visualising themselves reporting to airline check-in desks across the world.