Hebrides tour? Or other Scottish Island tours with young one

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Richy75

Re: Hebrides tour? Or other Scottish Island tours with young

Post by Richy75 »

Thanks again for the advice. I like the sound of the routes with plentycamping/fishing etc and a good pub alwyas goes down well! if I was to say do this route : Arran , claonaig, islay, port askaig and Jura woudl the best way of doing this be via the hopscotch type tickets or individual? does anybody have an idea of miles involved in this kind of route.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Hopscotch is usually better value - have a look at at the CalMac site to see what combinations they offer.

For mileage try putting possible routes into a site like BikeHike - it will tot up the mileage for you as you go, and also give an idea of the amount of climbing.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Another possibility would be either Orkney or Shetland, big ferry from Aberdeen & lots of little ferries in the islands.
IIRC, Orkney is an evening arrival, Shetland is morning, after an overnight crossing from Orkney
Orkney is also accessible from JoG or Scrabster (Thurso) if you are willing to drive that far.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

You would need a number 16 Hopscotch and a number 5. You can use the tickets in either direction. Bikes go free.

16 Ardrossan > Brodick/Lochranza > Claonaig/Kenacraig > Islay/Islay > Kenacraig £19.55pp

5 Ardrossan > Brodick/ Lochranza > Claonaig £6.55pp

The Jura ferry isn't Calmac so would be a separate ticket. [http://www.islayinfo.com/jura-ferry.html]

Calmac link [https://www.calmac.co.uk/calmac-summer-timetables]

I've just checked the individual ticket prices. Sneaky Calmac, the cost of buying individual tickets is now exactly the same as Hopscotch tickets.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

A five hour trip Oban/Catlebay can be quite exciting on a windy day. I was the only person in the cafeteria on my last trip and they were surprised to see me. Heard lots of crashing crockery in the galley at one point and shouts of " yee-ha "