Myanmar

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
subandean

Myanmar

Post by subandean »

I am thinking of touring in Myanmar next winter, probably in January; has anyone else done this and have you any advice?
Thanks
iviehoff

Re: Myanmar

Post by iviehoff »

I did this but nearly 20 years ago now, when the place was still very dictatorial/police-military state and it was a bit of a wonder you could get away with cycling around the country at all, though you were very limited where you could go. Things have lightened up there since. Indeed in principle the whole country is open, and also some border crossings. But in practice some remoter areas remain insecure and some people trying to travel into some more remote things have met persuasive people with guns. But they are still very fussy about no camping and only staying in accom registered to take foreigners, but there is a lot more of it now, and you can also sometimes stay in monasteries too. But it has also become very popular with tourists in general and there is considerable pressure on accom in main tourist spots and prices in these areas are now very high by SE Asian standards.

There's a number of threads on https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/ ... -your-bike which are worth reading, and probably also worth looking at their Myanmar branch too.

In the time I went there, scenery was not the primary interest of most of the places you could go, it was rather more about people and places, though the scenery was not tedious. Taking advantage of the greater freedoms of today, I think there is more scenic interest available. You are wise to go there in winter.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I went to Burma in Feb 2010, like Ive this was before the current liberalisation. Prices were cheap and things fairly basic. I think it is much the same now only prices particularly for accom have rocketed.

Road conditions were variable from good sealed to horrible broken up seal. You will be there in the dry season and it will be hot and dusty. You say Jan, I would advise missing very beginning as this wil still be holiday season for tourists and busier and more expensive.

You can now travel overland from Thailand and some have also continued to India, but that is more difficult. If flying in, then most go to Bangkok and then get a cheap AirAsia flight to Yangon. Visa easy to get in Bkk, but apparently long queues now.

Again I agree with looking at the LP site, lots of us there have been to Burma and there is loads of info. Use the advanced search to find relevant posts. Also look at crazy guy, a mate cycled there a few months ago and wrote it up on crazyguy. Something like the LP guidebook to Burma is a good starting point for places you will want to see.

Now you know lots have been there you will need to tailor your questions a bit. Tell me all you knows are very hard (and tedious) to answer.
RJS

Post by RJS »

There are recent stories of Myanmar on www.crazyguyonabike.com
Cheers, Rob.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

RJS wrote:There are recent stories of Myanmar on http://www.crazyguyonabike.com
Cheers, Rob.

Earlier this year I enjoyed reading Myanmar and Me - https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=15316
RodWatts

Post by RodWatts »

I went there this year, not cycling tho, but the good bit is you can apply for the visa online here in the UK.

Balloon flight over Bagan is a must do!!

Rod
I'm not lost, I'm just exploring!
Kieran2663

Post by Kieran2663 »

Hi there,

Myanmar is a country on the move, from autocratic miltilary state to a semi democracy in under 4 years, things are changing on the ground at a very rapid rate. The country is opening up more and more to tourist, and getting off the well beaten Yangoon - Mandalay - Bagan - Inle Circuit is much easier. Unfortunately as mentioned Myanmar is not the cheapest of destinations in SE Asia certainly accommodation wise, in part due to the lack of overall tourist infrastructure combined with the rapid growth of tourist arrivals in the country since opening up.

If flying into Yangon you can now apply for a e visa online which take the hassle out of going to the embassy in Bangkok, if you plan to cycle over the border which is now possible at Mae Sot and one or two other borders, you will have to get a visa before hand. Visa are issued at $30 for a 24 hr turn around, visa are valid for 28 days for date of entry.

Routes that are of interest may be of interest:

Myawaddy - Hpa-an - Mawlamyine - Thaton - Kyaikto (Golden Rock) - Bago - Yangon
It is possible to go south from Mawlamyine to Dawei and Myeik, but some stretches may involve having to take bus/trains depending on officials, this area is newly opened but the roads and infrastructure aren't geared up for tourist, yet. Could possibly cross back into Thailand from Kawthuang. See www.southernmyanmar.com/transportation/cycling-blog/

I cycled through the country Dec 14 from Thailand to India, going from Mae Sot (route mentioned above) to Yangon then a cargo boat from Yangoon to Myuangmya (near Pathien) with my bike and then cycled up the delta Kyuanggon - Hinthada - Pyay - Pakokku - Monywa and then up into Sagiang division to India.

Cycling the central "rice belt" from Yangon to Mandalay would not be advised as it is flat as pancake with not much to see and hot, along with the busiest roads in the country ( car ownership has skyrocketed in recent years)
Cycling from Yangon to Sittwe could be interesting, a bit of delta life then onto the coast and up to Ngapali beach for some R&R then finishing in Mrauk-U for some ancient temple hoping. Bear in mind that this route passes through Rakhine state and has been the site of some pretty horrific ethnic violence between Rohingya Muslims and the Buddhist majority in recent years, though not targeting tourists it could lead to some logistical headaches and access issues.

The Shan state for the most part is off Limits with some exceptions such as the Mandalay to Lashio (part of the historical Burma road) and the roads around and leading to Kalaw, Inle lake & Taunggyi. The NH4 route from Tuanggyi to Kentung / Tachileik (border with northern Thailand is closed to foriegners)

The Chin & Kachin States are now slowly opening up to tourists and would be an adventure to cycle around, but are long distances away from Yangon and will involve transport. It is worth noting that things on the ground are changing every week and month so by the time you get there new areas could be possible to visit.

Overall if you are planning on flying in & out a combination of cycling and transport looks good, long distance buses will take bikes for a fee & connect the country from Yangon for reasonable fares albeit with long journey times.

The police in some areas were a bit of a pain and we had a constant police tail for a number of days and accommodation that takes foreigns can be hard to find,(certainly in the delta region) so bear this in mind. (Camping would of been possible if desperate but difficult as a lot of land is cultivated and carrying camping kit for using it a few times is just not worth it unless you are on a longer tour, overall camping in SE Asia is just not worth it my opinion.

Notes; ATM machine are now found in most major towns and cities and accept foriegn Visa cards, they dispense Kyat but only to the value of around $200 per withdrawal, slightly harsh as you get a £5 bank fee per withdrawl, however this is major bonus as before you had to bring all your spending money in crisp US dollars to change into Kyat. I would still advise to have an ready supply of crisp / new dollar bills in numerous demonination to spend and change.

It is a good time to see Myanmar during the stages of a country findings its feet & bringing itself into the 21st century with hopefully improved democratic political governance, better human rights and a more stable country without internal conflict. The people, cultures and overall opportunity to access places closed off to the outside world until recently make Myanmar a truly fascinating destination.

Enjoy

K
RickH

Post by RickH »

A friend's son is on his way back from Australia by bike. He's just posted on Facebook from Pyay

Been a good few days since leaving Yangon staying in the temples as usual and had a day off in Pyay meeting the locals. Been followed by the Police for over 100km today to make sure your staying in hotels and not camping (as its illegal) or sleeping in temples. I think it's to make sure your spending your money in the economy.

He stayed in local temples in Thailand too. It seems to be a perfectly acceptable thing to do there.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Myanmar has been in the news for all the wrong reasons over the past week. Muslim refugees have been fleeing the country after sectarian conflict, and the military government, still very much in charge, has been criticised for being above the law. This is a very troubled country with serious human rights abuses happening daily. To some this may seem an unspoilt and interesting part of the world, but I am not sure I would want my holiday funds to contribute to the economy of this country until it is run by a more enlightened government.