Bike boxes for taking your bike abroad

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Bike boxes for taking your bike abroad

Post by mercalia »

I was coming home thru Clapham Junction after a nice ride to Virginia Water from Feltham and at the station saw this young lady , quite petite dragging an over size hard suitcase with wheels on all 4 corners - could barely get it into the lifts there. I asked her why the big case she said her bike was inside ( wheels off ofcourse) , I didnt get a chance to ask further as she vanished down the road at streatham hill dragging this case, I didnt know you could get hard normal looking but very large suitcases for bikes.
Mnemon

Re: Bike boxes for taking your bike abroad

Post by Mnemon »

Maybe one of the Rose bags? That said the first review of this one is pretty dismissal about the build quality, remarks that the keys/locks are plenty useless, the closing mechanism not looking reliable and that the grip came off on the first transport. Praises the size and dimensions, though.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Trouble with a hard case is what to do with it at the other end.

Dave
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I've got one of these:-
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/b-w-bike-box/

I have also had the cheaper £140 from this company:-
http://www.thebikeboxcompany.co.uk/
Both work fine but the bike has to be dismantled a bit.
(wheels obviously, pedals, saddle/seatpost, remove bars & maybe rear mech' )
I also found the cheaper "deluxe case" easier to handle so wished I had kept it.

These boxes weigh about 13kgs before bike is added and you need to check the airline weight limits/prices.)
If interested then look out for 2nd hand ones as you can pick one up for a lot less. The £140 one I got for £50 and sold on for £40. :)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

looked like none of the examples. looked like a regular curved hard case suitcase, narrower but BIG with wheels at each end. It looked really well made.