cyclocross for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jags

cyclocross for touring

Post by jags »

just wondering anyone using cyclocross bike for touring :?:

cheers
anto
ANTONISH

Re: cyclocross for touring

Post by ANTONISH »

Can't see any reason not to. You might want some road tyres. If you don't have rack fittings you can always use some rubberised "P" clips - (not the cheaper plastic coated ones.)
You might just use a rucksack ( there will be someone along in a minute to tell you what an appalling idea this is ).
sjs

Post by sjs »

You probably wouldn't have the really low gears of a touring bike. Whether that matters would depend on where you're going, how fit you are and how much you mind walking up the odd hill.
jags

Post by jags »

cheers lads just that i got talking to a friend of mine today obviously about bikes he reckoned a cyclocross bike would be perfect, but i have my doubts to be honest .heel clearence might be an issue not enough braze on's and of cours not enough gears.
sen a lovely dawes galaxy on CRC but they wont sell the frame seperate.
anyway thans for the replys.

anto.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Used a CX for a few tours including Spain to the UK over the Pyrenees . Even with a triple the gearing wasnt low enough with hindsight for that tour, rear wheel needed upgrading as stock CX wheel kept popping spokes. Frame flexed like hell under load, front forks were carbon so had little faith in them but they coped, pannier lug detached itself from the alu frame on the rear so used a P clip. However it was light (ish) and fast, it also attracted a bit of unwanted attention.It was a jack of all trades (commuting / road / touring ) but master of none !

Ive gone the other way now and built up a steel framed 90's mtb as a tourer for just over £200, new wheelset, gearing, butterfly bars etc...its a few kilo heavier but inspires much more confidence and feels really planted on the road...also no one gives it a second look.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Have you thought about 'Adventure Bikes' part CX and part road, stiffer frames better gearing than CX and a more relaxed geometry. :)

http://www.evanscycles.com/search/f?sor ... er_page=21
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
22camels

Post by 22camels »

I know a fair few people have used a specialized tricross for touring. I am one of them (4 week long trips now). I heard it's not a genuine cyclocross bike, but I am no cyclocross expert. Anyway, I usually have about 18kg on it, rear panniers only. It feels very solid, no flex, though I have limited experience of proper touring bikes to be able to compare. I have even tried up to 25kg with front panniers on too and it was ok. I have down to 23.6 gear inches after changing the cassette to 11-34, it's good enough. If my plans were to only tour in Europe (and nothing too extreme), I would see no reason to change. However I plan on some extended touring further afield and so I will probably get a genuine touring bike mainly for the 26inch wheels, and also because the carbon fork on the tricross might become a liability.
sjs

Post by sjs »

I've also toured on a Tricross, a Comp with a compact double, so lowest gear 34 front/28 rear, and not low enough. But comfortable, light, could handle mudguards (with a lot of toe overlap) and a rack (heel clearance OK). I was dubious about the carbon fork, but it was fine. As an all-rounder, quite a nice bike.
jags

Post by jags »

im after a thorn club tour but there expensive ,bob jackson frames a lovely as well but i think i'de rather have the thorn.seen a dawes galaxy on CR not a bad loking bike for 650 euro.
i have a new Terry Dolan letape cracking bike but no good for touring :roll:
ah i think i'll hang on until i can afford a good touring frame set built it up over time.
thanks lads

jags.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

jags wrote:im after a thorn club tour but there expensive ,bob jackson frames a lovely as well but i think i'de rather have the thorn.seen a dawes galaxy on CR not a bad loking bike for 650 euro.
i have a new Terry Dolan letape cracking bike but no good for touring :roll:
ah i think i'll hang on until i can afford a good touring frame set built it up over time.
thanks lads

jags.

Can't argue with that. I was in the same boat and floundered about with a couple of "ok for now" bikes but in hindsight totally unsuitable. I finally managed to cobble together a Surly DT at the end of last year and it has been an epiphany. Loads of bikes crop up on here, but I would check it fits. This is the first bike I've had that truly fits and I'm staggered at the difference to my comfort it makes. Did I say I'm totally chuffed with my Surly? [emoji38]
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jags, I have a Thorn Club Tour (now about 10 years old) and it was a good buy. A proper tourer. But if I were buying now I might save some dosh and buy a Spa steel tourer, with similar spec at a lower cost. Thorns just cost a bit too much.
sjs

Post by sjs »

pwa wrote:Jags, I have a Thorn Club Tour (now about 10 years old) and it was a good buy. A proper tourer. But if I were buying now I might save some dosh and buy a Spa steel tourer, with similar spec at a lower cost. Thorns just cost a bit too much.

I recently bought a Tour de Fer (touring-specific variant of a Croix d F apparently). First proper tourer I've had in 20 years. Fully equipped with low gears, bar ends, disc brakes, and very comfortable, but a lot heavier than the Tricross.
jags

Post by jags »

cheers Lads ,yeah the spa tourer looks great i might look a bit deeper into this as long as i can just buy the frameset i probably have enough spares to build it up.
yeah gonna pop over to the spa site now have a gander.
cheers lads.

jags
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I bought a Focus Mares AX as a touring bike (Its their aluminium CX frame) - it came with discs, mudguards and a dyno hub so I'm guessing the good ole Germans intended it as a tourer/commuter rather than a CX specific bike.

As an aside, Tricross and Crossrip bikes are intended as touring steeds and are definitely not CX machines, both Trek and Specialized have other models for that use.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I have a Croix de Fer 2014 (between CX and general purpose ?) which I day ride round flatlandia. And I think about going touring on it (probably for an entire spring/summer round Europe). And I think I would need different gearing. And I then wonder about the costs for changes vs the cost of a decent touring bike and whilst there is a difference, I wonder about how worthwhile changing it into a tourer (for me) would be. It's great around the rural lanes for my current use and have no regrets buying it. But I wonder if I'd take it touring without some significant expenditure. I am not experienced and have not taken it touring, so I am basing my thoughts on my own touring needs on the fact that even here in East Anglia with a single 5Kg load single pannier I do sometimes use the lowest gear and I think that given more luggage with hillier terrain the bike's lowest gear might not be enough (and it would be a get off and push ...)

ps. I's size 9 footwear and with a standard Tubus rack and Ortileb back roller panniers I have no issues with clearance.

But I'm not experienced enough to provide advice on this, just my limited thoughts/limited experiences.

Ian