North Sea Cycle Route

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
daveg

North Sea Cycle Route

Post by daveg »

I'm planning to ride another section of the NSCR next month hopefully riding from Hamburg to Grena in Denmark.

Planning is going well but I've just hit a small snag. I'm navigating by Garmin and I've either got or plotted the route using Cycline guides from Hamburg as far as Frederikshavn, but I can't find any information or guides for the next section.

I've looked at the NSCR site but I don't find the mapping that easy to use - if any one has cracked this and made it workable then any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks for any help offered.
If it wasn't for cars, there wouldn't be the amount of tarmac that there is.
Ron

Re: North Sea Cycle Route

Post by Ron »

Denmark is cycle friendly with many cycle routes. I relied on cycle route maps picked up from bookshops and tourist info points along the way and don't recall any great difficulties.

Perhaps this link will help http://cyclistic.dk/en/
biscaystorm

Post by biscaystorm »

I've thought about doing parts of the North Sea Cycle route several times but I cannot
muster any enthusiasm for it...from looking at You Tube videos of the NSC route, it just seems like riding
in a windswept landscape for a couple of days.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I'm doing Rotterdam to Esbjerg this summer - I've got maps and guides that take me to the top of Denmark and can't imagine why anyone would need GPS, its well signposted and pretty obvious. GPS can be useful but in this case its pretty pointless! Bikeline actually do the Danish book in English so there's really no excuse to get lost.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
syklist

Post by syklist »

daveg wrote:I'm planning to ride another section of the NSCR next month hopefully riding from Hamburg to Grena in Denmark.

Planning is going well but I've just hit a small snag. I'm navigating by Garmin and I've either got or plotted the route using Cycline guides from Hamburg as far as Frederikshavn, but I can't find any information or guides for the next section.

Do you mean Frederikshavn to Grenaa? Then you need to follow Danish Cycle Route 5. You should be able to find basic overview maps of the network in bookshops and tourist information. There is a set of four detail maps covering Jutland. We found one we needed last summer in the bookshop in Hirtshals plus a more detailed overview map (green cover in a plastic pouch).

I can check when I get home and see if they have ISBN numbers on them.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
garda express

Post by garda express »

I haven't had a chance to look at the files yet, but perhaps you can used this as a starting point

http://www.bigbikemap.com/northseacycleroutegpxdownload

and the money saved on maps can be invested in Tuborg
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

syklist wrote:Do you mean Frederikshavn to Grenaa?

I think the OP intends starting in Hamburg, Frederikshavn is not a very good start point!

try this site http://www.northsea-cycle.com/ daveg
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!