A Sad Day for Google Maps

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
axel_knutt

Re: A Sad Day for Google Maps

Post by axel_knutt »

I've just noticed that the new Google maps has Cressing Station at the top of Marconi Road in Chelmsford. If you measure the distance from where it's shown to where it belongs, Google says it's 1 min and 56 feet away, instead of about 10 miles.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
RickH

Post by RickH »

axel_knutt wrote:I've just noticed that the new Google maps has Cressing Station at the top of Marconi Road in Chelmsford. If you measure the distance from where it's shown to where it belongs, Google says it's 1 min and 56 feet away, instead of about 10 miles.

Seems to be OK now. There must have been a glitch somewhere.

I had been going to say I couldn't see the problem with the new Google Maps. OK there were a few teething problems early on. But then I had to switch browsers temporarily which I sorted problems with Firefox (I think one or more add-ons didn't like the latest version) and was using Internet Exploder. What a difference - majorly slow loading! I'm glad to be back on Firefox where Google Maps seems to be working OK for me, along with other mapping tools I use.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Whilst searching for a different topic that I'd posted in, I came across this one and thought I would note for anyone suffering slow performance from Google Maps that there is now a switchable ""Lite" version - a little lightning bolt down near the controls at the bottom right of the screen - that may (or may not) help with slow loading, etc.

Rick.
Attachments
Google Maps Lite mode switch
Google Maps Lite mode switch
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
hamish

Post by hamish »

May be off topic but Bing got me using their maps by putting the OS maps on them.
syklist

Post by syklist »

RickH wrote:Whilst searching for a different topic that I'd posted in, I came across this one and thought I would note for anyone suffering slow performance from Google Maps that there is now a switchable ""Lite" version - a little lightning bolt down near the controls at the bottom right of the screen - that may (or may not) help with slow loading, etc.

There are a lot of features missing from the Lite version. IIRC you cannot add way points was the most important. Even the full version of new Google maps has a much lower limit for way points than the "Classic" version had. However, I even found the Lite version, in keeping with pretty much everything that Google puts out these days, to be too slow (a combination of rural broadband, being a long way from Google's servers and older but otherwise perfectly useable computers). Classy GMAP (see link earlier in the thread) is the best Google based alternative I have found.
So long and thanks for all the fish...