Bikes on Luton Airport Shuttle

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
northneil

Bikes on Luton Airport Shuttle

Post by northneil »

Does anyone know if the shuttle bus from the mid-term car park at Luton Airport will carry bikes packed down in a CTC clear pastic flight bag?
iviehoff

Re: Bikes on Luton Airport Shuttle

Post by iviehoff »

I'm afraid I've only been to Luton with bike arriving under my own power, as it is close enough to ride. But since no one has answered, I did have a look at the rules/policies, and according to those it is unclear. They have some general rules about being safe on the bus and not inconveniencing others. Although you'd have a good argument that you have plane-prepared luggage, but having been on those buses, it really wouldn't be very easy, unless the bus were rather empty of other people. So they might invoke the inconvenience aspect to say no. Maybe there is some way you can ask them.

It would be safest and surely wouldn't be a huge inconvenience to bag the bike at the terminal, it is not as though you are boxing it.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

I've been on the bus from Parkway station to the airport and unless it was heaving I would see an issue. I'd have thought the bus will be similar with open space for wheelchairs and large cases.

Solve the problem and get on first! Go with the "I'm alright Jack" attitude like others do.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

The station buses are operated by the train company, which I think is therefore not the same as the car park buses. Making sure you get on first is tricky in the car park because there is a tour around a sequence of stops. I think people can be getting off as well as well as on it goes around, so it may never be entirely empty except at the terminal building. For all the extensive luggage space, I did not think it easy to put a bike in it.
northneil

Post by northneil »

Fortunately there's two of us so seems easy for one of us to get out at the drop-off point (£2.50 - sheesh!) with the two bikes, while the other parks the car