travel insurance?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
forestboy60

travel insurance?

Post by forestboy60 »

I am going on my 1st cycle camping holiday next month to France, and was thinking about insurance cover. What policies or companies do people use and recommend ?

Ian
chris_suffolk

Re: travel insurance?

Post by chris_suffolk »

On a recommendation from somebody on here, I bought a policy from Sports Cover Direct for a UK tour I'm doing later in the year - not sure if they do Europe, but I would expect so. Have different levels of cover, and very reasonable prices
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Is insurance really needed for france?

Wouldn't an ehic card be fine?

Just a question.

Insurance policies - fine print always needs to be checked.
Sweep
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Post Office Travel Insurance is very good and and reasonably priced and will cover you for cycling but not racing
'Kernow bys Vyken'
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Maybe. Don't know.
Don't get your currency from the post office though.
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Do a search on insurance. It has been discussed a few times with recommendations; is it worthwhile; etc discussed.

An ehic will get you basic cover which may be good enough for you, but there will be no repatriation cover, etc. Double check the insurance covers cycle touring as a main activity NOT just cycling which would be considered an occasional activity.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You probably need to think about what you want to insure, and why.

Is your bike covered for touring? Do you want it to be?
How about your belongings?
Do you have medical coverage in France? Do you want more than ehic provides?
Do you want your tickets and bookings to be covered?
Are you willing to pay excesses?
Insurance companies can sell you insurance for most eventualities. Only you can decide what is worthwhile paying to insure against relatively (or very) low risk events.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Nationwide Flexaccount. Annual European travel insurance is free. Flexplus account for worldwide cover. Take your card. Halifax Clarity CC delivers fee free Euros from any cash machine. 3 321 simm with a £10 add on gives you 3p a minute calls, 2p texts and 1p a megabyte data in France.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Ron

Post by Ron »

forestboy60 wrote:I am going on my 1st cycle camping holiday next month to France, and was thinking about insurance cover. What policies or companies do people use and recommend ?

I gave up on travel insurance many years ago, too much small print and having to pay for covering issues which don't concern me like missing a ferry connection.
I take an EHIC and the usual precautions I'd follow at home in the UK.
robing

Post by robing »

As per recent thread. I got bronze cover from sports direct UK. £40 for the year and covers long trips up to 3 months I think.
forestboy60

Post by forestboy60 »

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to take out insurance with Sports Cover Direct.
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

Nationwide Flexaccount. Annual European travel insurance is free. Flexplus account for worldwide cover. Take your card. Halifax Clarity CC delivers fee free Euros from any cash machine. 3 321 simm with a £10 add on gives you 3p a minute calls, 2p texts and 1p a megabyte data in France.

Cheers for the info. Any idea if any of the above applies to Africa? Not too worried about the SIM, but the rest of it...
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

b1ke wrote:

Cheers for the info. Any idea if any of the above applies to Africa? Not too worried about the SIM, but the rest of it...

Yes, I think Africa is included in the Insurance for Flexplus which costs £10 a month. But..you get interest on any money you keep in the account. You also get free AA type cover, mobile insurance and various other really good benefits. I have used my Halifax Clarity Mastercard in South Africa. Should work in other African countries. I did notice that you would get charged by Bank ATMs if you took over $NZ250 (£150) in NZ recently. But just look for a different bank and its free. The SImm deal isnt available anywhere in Africa. I bought local simms in SA and Namibia.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
cycling-rayb

Post by cycling-rayb »

I'm also looking for insurance.

Check out these guys

http://www.jsinsurance.co.uk/

Able to insure 6 month cycle trip to Europe for £115. I think that's very reasonable. Include personal accident and liability.

Activity equipment is only up to £400, so may not be worth it for a valuable bike. But for all other things like valuables and baggage it seems alright.
climo

Post by climo »

I'd buy insurance.

8 years ago my insurance company paid 11000 euros for a private jet, 2 pilots, doctor & nurse to get me from Italy to the UK after a bump. Before that 10 days in an Italian hospital cost HMG 79000 euros.

A friends mum had to be admitted to a French hospital. They wouldn't take the EHIC only cash. This is apparently quite common in France nowadays as I expect our side don't pay their bills on time.

Another friend was sitting on a beach in Thailand when a large tree fell on her (unbelievable but very true) breaking her back. After time in a Thai hospital she was flown by private jet to Singapore & another hospital, then back to UK again on a private jet. Insurance paid up.

But nothing will happen to you