5 days tour in Scotland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mschs

5 days tour in Scotland

Post by mschs »

Hi!
I'm planning to take 5 days off to see a bit of Scotland in August, but I'm not really sure where to go. The most important thing to get as much beautiful scenery as it is possible to pack in this short time. We'll probably be going with a few friends who only have road bikes so the road mustn't be too bad... We'd be wild camping (yes, I know, midges). Also we'll be coming from London so it should be convenient to get to/from (we might arrive by plane - cheaper - and leave on a sleeper train)
For the moment I'm considering the NCN7 route from Glasgow to Inverness - seems really good but I'm not sure if it's doable without stress in five days (with a train to catch on the last evening); and from what I've read it's not advisable to use road bikes on this. So any advice on this route or any other recommendation would be very welcome.
khain

Re: 5 days tour in Scotland

Post by khain »

NCN route 7 is far from the best scenery and while the track has improved it's not great for a road bike. It's not a great cycle at all to be honest.

For scenery the west is generally best. If you're ok on main roads the A82 between Crianlarich and Fort William is a fantastic cycle but might be a little busy in summer. You can either head up from Glasgow along Loch Lomond (there's an NCN route part way) or through the Trossachs from the east. Either way is a really nice cycle.

The north-west highlands and islands have probably the best scenery, though you won't see that much of them in 5 days. You could go from Fort William up the west coast as far as you can get then head down to Inverness. That would give you most of the best scenery, really a different class from NCN 7.

Weather-wise the east is usually driest and sunniest but has far less impressive scenery.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Lots of nice 5 day tours in Scotland but I would prefer: Inverness, Lochcarron, Ullapool, Durness, Lairg, Inverness.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

Personally I'd avoid Glasgow/Inverness, you'll end up in tourist traffic. West is best is often said, but the Borders, Cairngorms, Sutherland are all great places to cycle.

I'd suggest you have a look through the Audax routes (http://www.aukweb.net/events/?Region=scotland), as these are created by (usually) locals who deliberately pick quiet and scenic routes. If you pick some routes (play around with the Perms on the site too) that appeal, then just link them with minor roads. I can think of a few nice routes from Edinburgh to Inverness via the Cairngorms, which can be just as scenic as the Glasgow/Inverness route but with quieter roads. Or I'd go from Glasgow and wander up the coast, rather than head inland to Inverness, maybe up to Fort William.

I think using the A82 is fine if it's part of a longer cycle, but to sit on it for most of your holiday would be a shame.

cheers,
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Note that there is a bike bus service that runs between Durness and Inverness via Lochinver and Ullapool - it may help your planning.

http://www.inverness-durness-highland-bike-bus.co.uk/
andrew549

Post by andrew549 »

I had 5 days in Scotland last summer started in Inverness then over to Skye before going to Malaig and Fort William and back up to Inverness.

More info and some photos are here http://andrewwaterfield.blogspot.co.uk/ ... tland.html
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Fort William would be a good point to begin your tour. You could Take the overnight sleeper train. Lots of options from there:-

Head towards Glenfinnan. (If the timetables work out use the ferry to Camusnagaul and travel on the south side of Loch Eil)

http://www.lochabertransport.org.uk/TransportinLochaber/PublicTransport/Ferries/CamusnagaulFerry.aspx

At Lochailort you can continue to Malaig and onward to Skye and/or Applecross or take the coastal route south to Oban via Glenuig, Ardnamurchan and Mull. You should get two or three days on Mull. You could head direct for Mull from the Camusnagaul ferry by heading south along the shores of Loch Linnhe. Either take the ferry from Kilchoan on Ardnamurchan or from Lochaline on Morvern.

For the return journey get the train from Oban or, if taking the Skye option,the Line for Inverness runs from Kyle of Localsh up Glen Carron.
Last edited by Norman H on 6 May 2015, 9:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
garibeet

Post by garibeet »

Another route to look at would be NCR1 from Inverness as far as Portsoy or Macduff, swing a left toward Keith-Dufftown and then swing over to Aberlour and follow the Spey road back to Grantown via Cromdale. From there you could head back to Inverness or take the back road to Aviemore via Nethy Bridge, Coylumbridge. The Inv-Glas train goes through Aviemore so easy to pick it up there rather than necessarily going back to Inverness. Lots of small roads that out way so you can vary the route as you see fit, day by day even, should you wish.
Just did a similar trip starting/finishing in Aviemore. Great bakery in Findhorn if you fancy the short detour, proper Cullen Skink in Cullen(obviously!) and the ice cream shop in Portsoy is worth the ride alone :D That said I am heading out to the west coast on Sat for 10 days so it's all good to be honest. Have a great trip whichever way you travel.
mschs

Post by mschs »

Thank you very much for your answers, I'm glad I asked! I'm abandoning the NCN7 option then. I don't have time to have a proper look at all the proposed options but I will come back later! I did not think about the isles as I thought it would be too much of a hassle to take the ferry with so little time on our hands but I will reconsider it.