bike storage Belgian hotels

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
whoof

bike storage Belgian hotels

Post by whoof »

I was thinking of getting the train to Brussels and then riding a loop stopping at Ghent, Bruges and Antwerp. Does anyone have experience of bike storage at Belgian hotels in general?
I go to France almost every year and have never found a French hotel that didn't have somewhere secure to put my bike. The same cannot be said of many other countries. I know there are websites giving bike friendly B & Bs and hotels but many of these are double the cost of ones I've found on comparison sites so I was wondering if Belgian hotels in general were widely accepting of bikes or otherwise.

Many thanks.
geocycle

Re: bike storage Belgian hotels

Post by geocycle »

I don't think you can really generalise but I have never had a problem in Belgium. The only time I've had a problem anywhere is one hotel in central Southampton! That was more due to the receptionist being too junior to make a decision. In the end we compromised on the cold store! So really down to local staff. If I am booking in advance I always flag bike storage which gives them chance to think about it. As a last resort offer to take it to your room, this can go one of two ways they will either be relieved you are willing to share with your bike or aghast that filthy thing is going to be rolling down their corridor!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've never had a problem at Belgian hotels. The people on desk duty always seemd sympathetic, and were able to tell me about arrangements. However, in older buildings in towns and cities (e.g medieval centres of Brugge and Ghent, for example), I didn't often find proper stands. I have had to use a railing or sign post because they've just got a set of wheel benders, or a spot to lean bikes against the wall in the garden, or something. I've also used nearby public stands because I wasn't happy with what was available at the hotel. Sometimes, they've had a secure lock-up, or have let me use a garage or something, but that is more common in rural places or small towns. I haven't ever asked to bring my bike into my room.

I think this is a result of old architecture, because at modern hotels, I've not only found better conditions, but a couple of times, I've had secure, indoor cycling parking.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

You will be ridding in the flat and Flemish-bike-crazy part so I think you will be fine...
BTW, the roads between Brussels and Antwerpen are awful and remember if there is a cycle path, you have to use it by law. The cars will remind you of this by teaching you a lesson and driving near to you. They are like that here. :D Oh yes, and I suggest that you speak English and don't try out your French on them...
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

I don't suggest you lock up your pride and joy in the street. It was in the paper today that 3000 bikes were stolen in Brussels alone last year. :oops:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

chocjohn9 wrote:I don't suggest you lock up your pride and joy in the street. It was in the paper today that 3000 bikes were stolen in Brussels alone last year. :oops:

That's a fair point. I think think that each situation has to be taken on it's merits. But a good bike stand in a residential area might be more secure than unlocked in the garden of a B&B. On the other hand, if I didn't like any of the arrangements available, I might well take my bike into my room.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
biscaystorm

Post by biscaystorm »

geocycle wrote: As a last resort offer to take it to your room, this can go one of two ways they will either be relieved you are willing to share with your bike or aghast that filthy thing is going to be rolling down their corridor!

That is my experience exactly. Its either relieved or aghast reaction when it comes to bringing your stead to your room.

The French can be most fussy about this even though some of their medium priced hotels are like a set from the Brady Bunch.

The funniest was in Croatia one September I got a stunning 4-star hotel for a knockdown price. It was marble-and-chandelier in reception type hotel - the staff just placed my bike against a wall which was right beside the reception desk for 3 days. I kept on asking them if the wanted it moved and they said it was okay. As people were queuing at the desk - it gave them something to look at esp. the bike enthusiasts.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Thanks for the replies.

In France, Formule 1 (or similar variations) is the about the only place I take my bike into the room. In other places there is always a garage or store room for it. I would not leave it chained up outside regardless of the type of rack they had. I will send each place a email before making a booking.
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

chocjohn9 wrote:You will be ridding in the flat and Flemish-bike-crazy part so I think you will be fine...

Bike-crazy doesn't always mean good service in hotels - last year a supposedly "eco-friendly" hotel in Amsterdam tried to charge me for a car-parking space when I left my bike locked up in a corner of their huge secure underground car park for one night! On a related note (and nothing to do with the subject of this thread, sorry), the Netherlands is also the only place I've ever had to pay for a bicycle on a campsite :o
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Always send an email regardless of where they are, when I ask A-Do you have a room (Inspector Clouseau voice please) and B- Do have somewhere for my bike to stay.

Easy.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.