Ipswich to Southwold advise

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Charlie_Charlie_81

Ipswich to Southwold advise

Post by Charlie_Charlie_81 »

Good evening all

I am planning a one day ride from Ipswich to Southwold for a small group with mixed ability. Want to try and get in as many nice little villages as possible. (with the odd nice little pub :D )

Ideally it would be good to try and keep as close to the coast as possible

Just wondering if anyone had any routes they had used before.

Thanks for your time

Charlie
chris_suffolk

Re: Ipswich to Southwold advise

Post by chris_suffolk »

Assuming you can make your way to Melton (out to Kesgrave then up through Woodbridge), then it's quite nice up through

B1084 to Butley, then towards Tunstall, Blaxhall, Snape (Maltings), Friston, Knodishall, Eastbridge, Westleton, Blythburgh, Southwold

Not got a GPX file for this, as it's a mix of routes I have done, but nice riding in that general area and easy to avoid most of the busier roads.

Hope that helps

Chris
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Once North of Dunwich, there is a fantastic gravel road off the B1125 that is closed to motor vehicles that takes you around the edge of Dunwich Forest [url](https://picasaweb.google.com/ipdriver/O ... 1662929714[/url]). You can then follow this to Walberswick and cross at the sluice down to Southwold Harbour. This avoids one of the busiest stretches of road.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

is that the Suffolk Coast Path? was just looking on a map
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

It's the one a bit burther inland. I don't think the coastal path is up do much, though it's been a while since I've tried that route. If you look at the OS map here http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php, it starts at newdelight walk

Edit, this would be it http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/44286500/
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

I agree with Chris's post although a different start would be to cycle to felixstowe from ipswich and take the foot ferry to bawdsey. Would add something a bit different to the route.
Charlie_Charlie_81

Some good routes there quite like the B1084 to Butley, then towards Tunstall, Blaxhall, Snape (Maltings), Friston, Knodishall, Eastbridge, Westleton, Blythburgh, Southwold route,

However I might try and get closer to the coast at some point, but to be fair we end at Southwold which will tick the coastal view box.

The foot ferry would be good but there are certain members of the group who get sea sick just looking at the water!
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

The ferry crossing is really just crossing the river and takes about 45 seconds on the boat. Still, I like it.
Charlie_Charlie_81

We might be able to get him on to that then
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Was down at Bawdsey yesterday - it's £3.50 with a bike on the ferry. Not sure if he runs everyday (i.e. non weekends) at this time of year - worth checking. You can then go up through Hollesley and pick up the route I outlined somewhere round Butley

Have fun
nez

Post by nez »

He's the pilot for the deben entrance too. You can get his mob no online.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I would be wary of the B roads. They are effectively the main roads of the area and can be busy with fast moving traffic depending on day and time.

My advice would be to get the OS map, Sheet 156, maybe buy or get from library and try to construct a route using the quieter yellow roads.

You can also do the cut off through the heathland at the end via Westwood lodge. You can get ferry from Walberswick or ride upstream to cross at footbridge. Some of the other off road/bridleway routes can be very sandy and almost uncyclable so you have to be careful if incorporating these.

Good pubs at Blaxhall - The Ship and Middleton - The Bell.