Maps tips

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thayer19

Maps tips

Post by thayer19 »

Hi guys

Just wondering for those people who still use paper maps what scales you generally aim for? I've read ideally 1:100000 - 200000/obviously showing b roads and ideally cycling routes, along with the standard fare of camp sites etc etc.

I'm touring the western isles (inc Hebrides) and then cycling down into galloway forest park and I'm thinking I might just buy a philips navigator scotland atlas and rip out the pages I need as the scale seemed okay. For the Hebrides there is that philips hebrides which seems useful, I'm assuming tourist information centres along the way will be of use as well. In general, the ordnance landranger series seem to be too small and the 'tour' series for scotland isn't really ideal for touring.

The tour for the Lake District and Cumbria seems pretty good though as I'll also be cycling through there.

So yeah essentially, what does one look for in a map?
Paulatic

Re: Maps tips

Post by Paulatic »

I would have thought OS tour map of Scotland should do your job. I have a very dog eared earlier version which always did my job. I no longer use since it I've GB 250K on my phone.
I wouldn't put too much reliance on TI as there are very few left now.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
andrew549

Post by andrew549 »

I normally use the free 1:250 000 OS maps, these work well in rural areas like most of Scotland but in more built up areas can miss out quite a lot of roads and make navigating a bit harder. https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/openda ... ducts.html
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

OS 1:50,000 always my map of choice. For walking or off road 1:25,000
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

+1 for the 50,000.

25,000 i have a ton of for southern engkand and though they helped me discover some really nice rides when i used to lead rides i must say that for general use the area they cover is far too small.

For the OPs use in the area they are going to i think their own suggestion of the philips is excellent.

In fact these days i'd say a philips and a gps like the etrex20 is an ideal combination.
Sweep
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I wouldn't have enough money to go touring if I used 1:50,000 maps :o - I mostly go for 2 or 3 weeks somewhere in Europe, generally in a straight line.

When available I like to use 1:100,000, if not then 1:200,000. But to be honest, I tend to choose maps on quality rather than scale, and whether they show cycle routes, campsites, etc. I used the OS tour map for the Outer Hebrides, it was fine for me but it depends how much tolerance you have for knowing you're going in the right direction without necessarily knowing which minor road you're on! If you're planning on sticking to the main roads then any road atlas would do.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

My top paper map tip, for what it's worth: Whatever scale map you choose, pop it in a nice cheap waterproof pvc pouch!
Map's safe and sound.
Map's safe and sound.
pvcwallet_200.jpg (7.08 KiB) Viewed 765 times
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Good tip.

For single folded sheets from the philips road atlas i use those thin plastic wallets that go in a lever arch file.
Sweep
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Don't go buying a Philips Navigator just for that area!!! I have one you can have the pages from. If you pm me with your address, I'll send them 1st class. I already have the stamps so no cost to me whatsoever.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
khain

Post by khain »

1:100,000 is probably best, unfortunately I don't think anyone makes maps this scale. Road atlases are ok but lack contours.

Go for Nicolson 1:250,000 Scotland Road maps 2 & 3.

http://www.nicolsonmaps.com/acatalog/nicolson-tourist-mapping.html

They have contours and should be detailed enough for the areas you're touring in.

OS say Landrangers are for cycle touring but you'd need to carry dozens for a tour of any length.
thayer19

Post by thayer19 »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Didn't think about the lack of contours on the atlas'. Going to check out that the OS tour again of Scotland tomorrow I think. Those nicolson's maps look good as well, never heard of those before.