Ideas for first tour - taking a toddler with us.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tangled Metal

Ideas for first tour - taking a toddler with us.

Post by Tangled Metal »

Hi there. We are planning on doing a cycle tour as a family for the first time this year after a few years of grand plan dreaming about it. This year it is going to happen but where to go???

Three criteria -

In the UK so it is easy to reach from North Lancashire.
Camping at campsites.
We can only cycle for about 1-2 hours at a time with a break in between. This does not leave a great distance each day.

My partner has done a lot of cycle touring overseas in adventurous areas and solo (China, South America and Eastern Europe away from the tourist areas). I have done a lot of backpacking in the UK and spent my whole life walking with long spells climbing, kayaking and cycling but never toured. Unfortunately we are not fast cyclists but tend to travel at about 8mph moving average speed. When on my own I am faster but I cycle slower due to pulling a trailer with my partner and to her pace. My partner is very unhappy with any roads other than very quiet roads. She calms down after a while but it does take a while to happen and she will be riding behind the trailer to the outside as a guard against cars hitting junior. Seriously an overprotective Mum ready to tear chunks out of any car/driver who gets too near her family. So that means a quiet area (Lakes is mostly too busy I think in summer).

The family consists of two adults and one 2 year old who has finally decided he likes the trailer. After a year or more of being either fully against it or accepting of it so long as it is not a long ride he has decided he would rather be in the trailer than the child seat. A big win for us as it will allow for better chance to tour I think.

I like Scotland end of May because of the wild camping side of it plus low midges are possible then. I know some quiet roads get maniac Royal Mail and local drivers on them but I think if I got out to the west coast small roads it would be ok. Alternatives perhaps the Coast and Castle route, how quiet are those roads? I am also wondering if the two roses way that leaves from Morecambe is quiet (we live on it or near it at Western end).

So has anyone got any ideas?
hamster

Re: Ideas for first tour - taking a toddler with us.

Post by hamster »

The New Forest springs to mind: lots of child friendly things to do, plenty of campsites and places to eat and lots of space for a child to explore.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I have walked in there since my Aunt lived in it. Unfortunately it is a bit too far for us. I know the train journey down there would take too many changes for us with two bikes, kit and a child trailer. Plus it would be a long haul too.

Scotland is also a long haul but I am guessing there is one long train trip up to Glasgow then change to get into the highlands. I think you can get to the west coast of Scotland with just one change (taken from Oxenholme or Lancaster station - probably the latter one).

I do like the idea of new Forest one day because IIRC there are nice bridlepaths through the area. My distant memory is of forest areas and clearings that can be really quite big with gorse bushes in IIRC. It is a long time ago now perhaps 30 years.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

The Western Isles are pretty quiet but quite a trek for you to get to. Train to Glasgow (some of them stop at Oxenholme) then to Oban or Mallaig. I hope your trailer folds as Scotrail claims it won't accept them.

Galloway has lovely countryside and doesn't get busy, even in the summer, as most tourists bypass it, heading for the highlands. You could consider a fixed centre holiday. The Kirkpatrick Macmillan rally is based this year (22-25 May) at Barnsoul campsite (about 8 miles from Dumfries) which seems to have excellent facilities, and there are lots of small, quiet roads there. Train to Dumfries with one change at Carlisle.

There is also the Borders - a few years ago I went on a fixed-centre CTC week based near Jedburgh, which was great fun with beautiful scenery and a network of tiny roads. It may be on the wrong side of the country for you though as you'd have to take the train to Berwick.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Another vote for Dumfries and Galloway. Scotland's best kept secret and very easy journey for you. Bowland and the Dales are even closer to home
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Did the WotRoses a couple (few?) years back, and I recall a couple of bits where you're not so far from fairly feisty traffic- Top of Halton Park hill (KL Rd) until on the Aughton Rd, then down into Gressingham until Wray. Also Clapham to Settle, and the B6265 before Pately Br. were quite speedy. Others may not think so.

Heard good things about the Reivers Route. Supposed to be quieter. Also, once over Northumberland way, Kielder and surrounds, there's some nice spots, not that I've been there much.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Tangled Metal wrote:Hi there. We are planning on doing a cycle tour as a family for the first time this year after a few years of grand plan dreaming about it. This year it is going to happen but where to go???

Three criteria -

In the UK so it is easy to reach from North Lancashire.
Camping at campsites.

Ignoring the UK bit for a moment, but keeping with "easy to reach from North Lancashire":
Hull Rotterdam ferry (or Newcastle Ijmuiden) and then take a tour round bike friendly Holland. The coastal route round to Germany is to be recommended and (headwinds apart) is not demanding in any way. Mostly on bike tracks or quiet country roads. The dune section on the West coast is lovely in places. If you are anywhere near a railway station then it would be possible to get back to your starting point in a few hours. Or you could head down to southern Holland/ Ardennes and take in some different (and more demanding) scenery.

I could recommend Ostfriesland in Germany after the Dutch coastal route. As good if not better than Holland in terms of cycle provision. Quiet child friendly bike routes. You can get an overview of campsites from the Tourist Bureau in Ostfriesland. Again all you need to do is to get to a Dutch railway station and you can get back to where you started.
Last edited by syklist on 30 Apr 2015, 4:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Done a fair bit in D&G area based at newton stewart. Taken my partner there too. Walking only but I know there seems to be cycling network signs all over the roads over there. Does take a bit to drive too. If fixed base then car would go but we were looking for leaving car behind and doing a linear route or circular route over several days.

Lancaster is a main stop into Glasgow then one change is ok.
iLash

Post by iLash »

Just done way of the roses a couple of weeks ago. Vast majority of route on quiet roads and cycle paths but a couple of very very short section on busy roads. I have never rode with a trailer before - there are a few very steep uphill sections and one particular very steep and long downhill that would need caution into Pateley Bridge (greenhow hill). Some of the cycle paths are narrow and might be difficult to negotiate with a trailer?
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Tangled Metal wrote:but I am guessing there is one long train trip up to Glasgow then change to get into the highlands. I think you can get to the west coast of Scotland with just one change (taken from Oxenholme or Lancaster station - probably the latter one).

You have to change from Glasgow Central to Glasgow Queen St which is about half a mile.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

There is a largely segregated cycle route along (at least an extended part of) the N coast of Wales with a high density of entertainments along the way. Also gives access to Angelsey via the old Menai bridge, though getting out of the town of Menai Bridge is less than ideal. Quite a lot of fun things on A too. Along the N wales route, there are some sharp little hills in various spots, and also some gates/barriers that proved tricky with a tandem let alone trailer. On Anglesey, although there are not high hills, but there are plenty of steep little to medium ones. Maybe Anglesey alone would suffice as a tour. I expect you can get there with one change, though I haven't checked.
F70100

Post by F70100 »

Might I suggest a coastal tour of Norfolk, Suffolk & Essex. Train from Morecambe to Peterborough I think should just involve one change at Leeds. The North Norfolk coast is easy to access from P'boro. Beaches a'plenty for all the family along the coast. Lots of campsites too. Either cycle back across Norfolk, Suffolk or Essex to P'boro when you've had enough or get a train from, say Ipswich, back to P'boro to travel back north.