Solo Etiquette

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mcallaghan

Re: Solo Etiquette

Post by mcallaghan »

I know Rhyl and Bangor will not have dinners at the B&B. I believe the place I am staying at in Harlech may by one of those places - overnight accommodation and local watering hole. At least, from Google Street View thats how it appears. I think Brecon may be the next destination that is like that - the place I am staying also has its own restaurant etc. Rhayader may be the same, but as its a recent change to my trip (as opposed to going to Llandindron Wells) I have not had much chance to look at the town itself.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Look for the Eagle in Rhayader. Good meat or ether pub on the street between the cross and that pub. Brecon has several pubs in the town centre.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

mcallaghan wrote:
Chester (9AM Arrival - free day)
Rhyl
Bangor
Bangor (riding a loop on Anglesey)
Harlech
Machynlleth
Rhayader
Brecon
Cardiff (x3 or 4 nights - end of riding with a full weekend and then some to explore cardiff)
Chester (x 2 nights - train back to Chester midday, then one more full day in Chester before an early AM departure)

Hope I'm not repeating what others have said, but not enough time to read every response.

Most pubs/restaurants will be open from 6 at the latest and many offer food all day till 9/10pm. Chester has some great places to eat and a couple of good Italian restaurants (Sergios near the Cathedral is excellent). Rhyl, mostly tacky, greasy spoon places, but there must be some reasonable places; I'll see if I can find any. Bangor should be okay, but a high student population will mean fast food dominates the high street. Harlech, Machynlleth and Rhayader I have no experience of, but there will be "gourmet" cafes open during the day in these and other villages. Great food can be had in them, but they tend to close at 5. Brecon is a bit of a cultural place and has good food outlets and Cardiff has everything. You shouldn't have any problems with finding an evening meal.

If I'm available, I can easily cycle into Chester on your first day and show you around.

HTH