France en Velo

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Linda13

France en Velo

Post by Linda13 »

I will be cycling from St. Malo to Nice through May/June following the route in the book 'France en Velo' by Walsh and Reynolds. Has anyone in the forum done this alone unsupported, and what homeward transport to the UK did they use from Nice ?
Any advice on simple/gite d'etape accomodation or camping welcome or helpful websites.....Linda13
hamster

Re: France en Velo

Post by hamster »

For camping I tend to use the municipal ones. They are usually close to town centres and I have always found them clean and good value.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Might be worth looking at European Bike Express.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Ron

Post by Ron »

Linda13 wrote:I will be cycling from St. Malo to Nice through May/June

IME of northern France, campsites don't open until the 1st of July, similarly other touristy attractions.
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

Ron wrote:
Linda13 wrote:I will be cycling from St. Malo to Nice through May/June

IME of northern France, campsites don't open until the 1st of July, similarly other touristy attractions.

Very much not the case in my experience, and anyway the "France en vélo" route doesn't actually go through northern France... (http://franceenvelo.cc/route/)

The vast majority of campsites on this route will have opened at the latest on May 1st.
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

My two mates and I will be following this route from May 22nd! May see you on the road! Enjoy anyway. It looks a good route.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

jamesgilbert wrote:
Ron wrote:IME of northern France, campsites don't open until the 1st of July, similarly other touristy attractions.

Very much not the case in my experience, and anyway the "France en vélo" route doesn't actually go through northern France... (http://franceenvelo.cc/route/)

The vast majority of campsites on this route will have opened at the latest on May 1st.

Another in my experience. IME municipal campsites start the season later than privately run campsites (15th June is about the mark) but 1st May is about right for private camp sites. I have though struggled to find an open campsite in the early part of the season, when someone airily tells you there's an open campsite 15km away, it's just beginning to drizzle and you've already knocked out 120km it's a bit dispiriting!

As an aside I'm amused to read that that bit from St Malo down to the Loire doesn't count as northern France!!
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

Getting back might be worth looking at trains - but only if you book in advance and book the bikes in otherwise it can be pricy.
We got ourselves from campsite in Die (Drome) to home near Matlock in 12 hours door to door - very quick and easy. One bus, 4 trains.
Actually faster then flying if you add in all the complications of getting to/from airports, hanging around etc. Only problem on one TGV stretch having to pack the bikes in poly bags with the wheels off to make them into nominal "baggage" rather than bikes. But this was the fault of the ticket office in Die and could have been avoided.
We could have put them back together for Eurostar (Lille) and from St Pancras but didn't have time so did it on Derby Station instead.
We'd definitely do it again but booked in advance.
Pleasant bike ride to Die station at 6 am and then home from Cromford Station at 5.30 pm, same day
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

Ben@Forest wrote:
jamesgilbert wrote:
Ron wrote:As an aside I'm amused to read that that bit from St Malo down to the Loire doesn't count as northern France!!

Just make sure you don't refer to any Bretons as living in "the north" and you'll be okay :wink: I think it's because of the shape of the country, only the pointy bit at the very top is really referred to as "the north". (The département called "Nord" is situated here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nord-Position.svg)

Anyway, someone in Saint-Malo, Rennes or the Pays de la Loire will very definitely think of themselves as being in western France and not northern France.
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

We have often used municipal campsites that are not 'open' but neither are they 'closed'!! Only problem is sometimes finding an open toilet block.
Polite

Post by Polite »

Linda13 wrote:I will be cycling from St. Malo to Nice through May/June following the route in the book 'France en Velo' by Walsh and Reynolds. Has anyone in the forum done this alone unsupported, and what homeward transport to the UK did they use from Nice ?
Any advice on simple/gite d'etape accomodation or camping welcome or helpful websites.....Linda13

I did it last year, I also cut out a few parts where I'd cycled before. I used municipal sites along the way, using their recommendations or what was available, it was in August so I didn't book anything. Only one night when I was almost homeless. I stayed in a hotel for one night the evening before I cycled Mt Ventoux.

I didn't plan in advance so thought I could get a train home from Nice but it was ridiculously expensive. I got a flight with easyJet for a third of the price and a free bike box from a 'Sports Direct' type shop along rue Nationale (memory could be letting me down).

Great trip though a heavy book and not easy to refer to for directions without stopping/opening panniers, for what it's worth.