Family Cycle Tour of the Hebrides - Advice Needed

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
craigr12

Family Cycle Tour of the Hebrides - Advice Needed

Post by craigr12 »

Hello,

I'm planning on a short cycle camping tour with my kids (15,15&10) and dog (suitably harnessed in his trailer). My only requirements are that the roads be child-friendly and that there are a few ferry rides involved. Can anyone recommend routes or areas? Also, I've spoken to ScotRail and it appears trailers are a no-no for their trains. If push comes to shove, I could do a circular route and dump the car but does anyone know if there are any companies which transport bikes - something like the European Bike Express but on a smaller scale?

Thanks for your help,
Craig
Elizabeth_S

Re: Family Cycle Tour of the Hebrides - Advice Needed

Post by Elizabeth_S »

http://mtbflo.com/ I haven't used them, there are other companies if you search for them.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Where are you starting from in the UK to get to your tour start point?

These might be of some use:
http://www.inverness-durness-highland-bike-bus.co.uk/
http://www.travelinescotland.com/cms/co ... bike.xhtml

I mention Inverness as you can get there by non-Scotrail services ie Virgin East Coast.

I'm not an expert, but does the trailer pack down at all, in which case it would be just luggage not a trailer.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

For the route options, how many days do you have? All the roads in the Outer Hebrides are pretty much child-friendly as there simply isn't that much traffic. It's quite a long ferry trip from Oban to get there though...

You can see all the ferry options on the CalMac website: https://www.calmac.co.uk/interactivemap?f=13280
garibeet

Post by garibeet »

When are you going and what route? I have just bought tickets to Kyle of Lochalsh, via Inverness and then Ardgay back home via Inverness, I live in Aviemore.
My route is Uig -Tarbet, Stornaway-Ullapool. I am going around Cape wrath also, hence the Ardgay return. If you are going via Oban could you post the trailer on via a courier? I lived in Oban and know only too well how they feel about trailers! Though as has been mentioned, if it packs away into a bag it's just luggage( I have a EBC trailer than fits in it's bag and they never questioned it at all. I use Senditnow for stuff I sell, have used them for a couple of frames now, very good service, cheap and reliable. They use Parcel force so often it's post that picks the box up.
You will be fine once you get over there re the roads. The Clisham, out of Tarbet, is the only real climb otherwise the wind is usually the pain :D
I did Barra and up to Tarbet, back via Skye a few years ago when I lived in Oban. Long ferry ride to get there, but a few short ones after that and the scenery is stunning. Golden road is a bit tougher than the West coast route, but amazing. West coast route gets you to Luskintyre etc, equally stunning. So many choices!!
It is worth buying the hopscotch if it covers your sailings, cheaper and of course no waiting in queues if you turn up to the ferry with little time to spare( which I am known to do on occasion :oops: ) Hope you have a great trip, start 'em early :D Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.
Regards
Gari
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Not sure what you expect in the 'child friendly' department. Are your kids cyclists? What are their capabilities? How long have you got? I'm sure you will want to encourage them to enjoy the experience and not want to put them off.
Just how quiet or busy roads are can fluctuate. You will always get concentrated traffic around ferry terminals. When on a bike it's worth letting all the vehicles get away ahead when they come off the ferry. That way you don't have a constant stream of overtaking vehicles. Also the weather can make an otherwise easy route into a bit of a challenge.

There are a lot of route options. Best thing to do is look at the Calmac route map and take it from there. Here are a couple of suggestions.

Either train to or park at Ardrossan, ferry to Brodick go clockwise round Arran to Lochranza then ferry to Claonaig. Go across the top of the Mull of Kintyre to Kenancraig. Get the ferry to Islay. Go round Islay and maybe across to Jura if you have time. Return across the top of MOK, ferry Claonaig to Lochranza then cycle Lochranza to Brodick clockwise.

Either train to or park at Oban, ferry to Craignure. There are things to see and do on Mull and it is worth going to Iona. Depending on how it's going you might decide to stay on Mull or you could get the ferry across to the Ardnamurchan peninsula (detour to the lighthouse) and then back along Loch Sunart to Lochaline and get the ferry back to Craignure then to Oban.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Oban is probably your best starting point, whether you arrive by train or by car. From here you have many options for both inner and outer Hebrides.

Another idea for a short tour would be to start at Malaig. Once again you have the option of arriving by train or by car. Take the ferry to Skye (Armadale) and cycle across the island to Uig. From here there are ferry services to Lochmaddy on N Uist and Tarbert on Harris. You could make your outward journey on one and return on the other. You would also need to use the ferry service between Berneray and Leverburgh. A Hopscotch 14 ticket would cover all three crossings but not the Malaig to Armadale crossing.

https://www.calmac.co.uk/article/2650/Hopscotch-14-Harris--Uists

As jamesgilbert has said, the roads in the Outer Hebrides are very cycle friendly. They can get a little busy near ferryports close to arrival and departure times but are otherwise a joy to cycle on. The wind can be a problem. If it blows you may have fun towing the trailer. The roads on Skye will be a little busier but nothing to worry a competent cyclist.

With regards to ScotRail's trailer policy. When we were last at the ferryport in Oban a couple arrived by train from Glasgow with Dad towing two toddlers in a trailer. Apparently they'd had a bit of an argument with “officialdom” but had been allowed to travel. The children were pretty cute though. If you think your pouch has similar ability to melt the heart of a Scotrail jobsworth , you may get lucky.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

When did you make the enquiry with Scotrail? The Scotrail franchise is now operated by the dutch company Abelio. One of the things that was promised by Abelio was that more luggage/storage space for bikes and other equipment would be provided but it's early days.
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

Yes, I'll believe it when I see it! We were also told that privatisation of public transport would increase competition and choice...I'm not sure how that works in Scotland.
Steve922

Post by Steve922 »

If travelling by car to Oban (or Mallaig) where do you leave the car for a week or more?
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Steve922 wrote:

If travelling by car to Oban (or Mallaig) where do you leave the car for a week or more?

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=83453

Edit to add:-

In Malaig I parked alongside the harbour.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.004271,-5.823468,3a,75y,65.23h,77.17t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1szwgEhfpqrcEmMZqesaV2TA!2e0

It was twenty years ago so I don't know if any long term restrictions apply now.
GlasgowAl

Post by GlasgowAl »

Hi Craig,

I'd also recommend Oban as a starting point and I'd recommend taking the Oban - Castlebay ferry for a tour of Vatersay, Barra and Eriskay for what you are looking to do - outstanding scenery, quiet roads and reasonable terrain.

The train service from Glasgow Queen Street to Oban has space for 6 bikes which all hang up side down at the end of the carriage - there should be space enough to put your trailer in there too. I did this with the BOB Yak style trailer on a similar trip. Although smaller than some child/pet trailers, we managed it on without taking the bag out or adjusting it in anyway. It is important to book your bikes on with First Scotrail on this service but I wouldn't worry too much about the trailer as long as you can fold/dismantle to a reasonable size. We had the trailer (and fully loaded bag) and four panniers with the two bikes which was all fine.

I've also parked at the long stay car park at the ferry terminal - I think it was £25 for 5 days or so which was grand.

Hope this helps.

Alan
GlasgowAl

Post by GlasgowAl »

PS. I should have included + South Uist in that reply - that is what I'd recommend as you can then get the return ferry from Lochboisdale - Oban on the Wednesday or Friday morning. This service runs from Barra - Lochboisdale - Oban on these days.
craigr12

Post by craigr12 »

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I'll spend a happy evening pouring over maps and timetables.
Cheers,
Craig
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Just be aware the ferries between Oban and Castlebay/Lochboisdale take about five hours. no too pleasant if the sea is rough.