Recommend me a book and a route!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

When touring I like to take a book (usually on my kindle) that has some sort of connection with the area I'm visiting. This year I plan to start in Oban and visit the Outer Hebrides (Barra, Usits and Harris), Skye, Raasay and Applecross returning via Ardnamurchan and Morar. Books on my list so far include Death and Fish, Calum's Road and Island Wife. I'd like to find something to inspire me for the Applecross part of the trip, either fiction or non fiction is good, tales of cycling in the area always good!

Oh and does anyone have any suggestions for the return part of my trip. After Applecross my current plan is to continue North along the coast road then loop back to Lochcarron, then return via Skye/Mallaig/Morar/Mull to Oban. But I've ridden a lot of that route before and would be happy to go an alternate way if anyone has any good routes. I will be camping and have a fairly heavily loaded bike. I had originally planned to go further North and get the ferry from Ullapool and return via Lewis, but I don't think I will have the time. An alternative I've been considering is to start in Uig (Skye), out to N. Uist and Harris for a few days then back from Tarbert to Uig and on to Raasay, Applecross, then up to Ullapool and return via Lewis. Any thoughts?
robing

Re: Recommend me a book and a route!

Post by robing »

I can't help you with a book, but I am doing a similar tour this summer probably July. Where are you going to leave your car in Oban?
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

I'm not doing this route (although I am doing another wee route in Scotland soon) but regarding your car.... There is a long stay car park next to the leisure centre in Oban. Not at the leisure as such but next to it. It is FREE!!!
Hope you both enjoy your trips guys! :)
Last edited by cheesypeeps on 27 Apr 2015, 12:10am, edited 1 time in total.
using hovercraft full of eels.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Black House by Peter May

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

You could go from Lochcarron through Glenshiel to Invergarry, then Fortwilliam - Oban (you could do the last bit via the west side of Loch Linnhe and Ardnamuchan). When are you going? The main roads aren't too busy in June.

I too am hoping to do the Bealach this summer, also with camping gear - I expect to do a lot of pushing! I'm using trains so don't need to get back to my starting point.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

How long have you got?

A couple of years back we did the Hebrides from Barra to Butt of Lewis and then crossed to the mainland and returned to Oban from Ullapool using the coastal route:- Gairloch, Torridon, Applecross, Skye, Malaig and Ardnamurchan. We didn't include Raasay but it was a pretty relaxed 15 days. The longest day (about 75miles) was Ullapool to Gairloch.

With regards to reading material, when I returned a friend leant me a copy of “A School in S Uist” (F.G. Rea) A fascinating insight into the history of island life.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/School-South-Uist-Reminiscences-Schoolmaster/dp/1874744874

I only wished I'd had it with me when we were on Uist.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Bettina Selby's The Fragile Islands would be my recommendation for a book.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Hi everyone, thanks for the recommendations. I've read the Black House and the The Fragile Islands on previous trips to the Hebrides (I'm a repeat offender!). A School in S Uist sounds interesting and I will order it, then I need to decide if I wan to carry a paper book or not!

I really want to approach Applecross from the south (I've been there before but not on the bike), hence the rather convoluted route.

I'm planning on heading up there around the 13th of May, and have about 14 days or so (but need to include days at each end to get to and from Leeds).

In the past I've just parked my car on the road in Oban on the sea front near the Sea Food Temple, but that was only for a week or so. Was thinking of asking if I could leave it at the camp site (Which I will probably use for a night at the start and end of the trip), but not sure if they will do that or how much it will cost. If I decide to start the journey from Uig then I will either leave my car in the long term parking on the pier or again see if the camp site will let me leave it there.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Have you considered using 'Audible'

http://www.audible.co.uk/

I find it cheaper and more enjoyable. First book is free
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Interesting idea, and it looks like I can use my kindle to play them. Problem is so far they don't seem to have any of the books that I want to read/listen to!
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

al_yrpal wrote:The Black House by Peter May

Al

I've just ordered that trilogy myself. Got a trip planned via islay and Jura so defo nice to have a Scottish story to read!
using hovercraft full of eels.
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

How about 'Kidnapped' by RL Stevenson, its an old classic for good reason :D
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Kidnapped, now that is a good idea. I've never actually read the book, will put that on my list!