Long cycle tourers - you feel like you just want to go home?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
elioelio

Long cycle tourers - you feel like you just want to go home?

Post by elioelio »

I'm currently in my first week of cycling the east coast UK, and am 5 miles into my day and have no energy whatsoever! I was thinking I must not be eating properly, then I thought it might just be psychological. Although I have spent two weeks prior to this at home, before that I was away for 4 months (two months cycling before breaking my collarbone falling off my bike). I'm torn between really wanting to do this tour, and wanting to be at home with my partner. I feel silly as I'm in a beautiful part of the country, on holiday, completely free but I just feel like I want to go home, back to a 'normal' life and find a job.
Anyone else feel like this? Do you get over it? Maybe I'm just having a couple of bad days, or maybe it really is my bad diet!
iviehoff

Re: Long cycle tourers - you feel like you just want to go h

Post by iviehoff »

It's not uncommon to feel like that after about 3 months, but after a week is a bit unusual. On the other hand you apparently have a home with a partner, and extended separation is perhaps not great for that.

As for eating badly, well if you fix that you'll quickly find out if that was anything to do with it, probably by about tomorrow.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Do make sure you are eating properly, and particularly at the end of the day. If you are not it will affect your mood as well as your energy levels, and you will get into a cycle of 'depression'. Also, I believe it is quite common for the third or fourth day of a long tour to be bad - lots of the End-to-Enders report this, presumably because the first excitement has worn off and they realise how far they still have to go.

But food=fuel so look hard at how you are managing this. What did you do on your last tour?

The bottom line though is that there is no shame or blame in deciding that you have had enough for the moment, and catching the nearest train home.

Good luck!
james01

Post by james01 »

Solo touring, like any solo holiday, doesn't necessarily suit everyone.
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

I have bad days when touring. No energy or enthusiasm. I try to do a short day when I feel like this. Sometimes it passes, sometimes not. Give it a couple more days perhaps, and if you feel the same way, then go home and get a full time job where you do the same thing day in day out. The more tedious the better. You'll soon be in the mood for touring again 8-)
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

elioelio wrote:I'm currently in my first week of cycling the east coast UK, and am 5 miles into my day and have no energy whatsoever! I was thinking I must not be eating properly, then I thought it might just be psychological. Although I have spent two weeks prior to this at home, before that I was away for 4 months (two months cycling before breaking my collarbone falling off my bike). I'm torn between really wanting to do this tour, and wanting to be at home with my partner. I feel silly as I'm in a beautiful part of the country, on holiday, completely free but I just feel like I want to go home, back to a 'normal' life and find a job.
Anyone else feel like this? Do you get over it? Maybe I'm just having a couple of bad days, or maybe it really is my bad diet!

Try haveing a lazy day or 2 where you are? I am of an age when I dont want to be in the saddle all the time, dont have the will or energy any way and it is really nice to feel free to do nothing. It is easy if u have a tent - just have an extended lie in listening to the radio..
hondated

Post by hondated »

elioelio wrote:I'm currently in my first week of cycling the east coast UK, and am 5 miles into my day and have no energy whatsoever! I was thinking I must not be eating properly, then I thought it might just be psychological. Although I have spent two weeks prior to this at home, before that I was away for 4 months (two months cycling before breaking my collarbone falling off my bike). I'm torn between really wanting to do this tour, and wanting to be at home with my partner. I feel silly as I'm in a beautiful part of the country, on holiday, completely free but I just feel like I want to go home, back to a 'normal' life and find a job.

Sorry to read you are feeling depressed elioelio having never done it I would be a bit of a charlatan to try and offer you advice so all I can say is just take it easy and chat with your partner as often as you can.
And also take some comfort from knowing that even if you do give up at least you have tried unlike myself and possibly a few others.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Can't persuade your partner to come and meet you for a weekend can you?
I'm usually fine on the bike when solo myself, but come the evening, I'd rather be at home in my shed, with the wife watching TV indoors :? .
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
ernest

Post by ernest »

I think I know just how you feel when I have toured alone as I have had similar feelings at that stage of a tour. I have returned home only later to regret it. I suggest you read 'The Chimp Paradox' by Steve Peters about mind management. I have found this really useful. I think that psychological part of a tour is as important as the physical but we only tend to train for the physical!

Thinking of you.
Geoff Dale

Post by Geoff Dale »

I suffered the same fate a few years ago. Started the LEJOG and was sure I couldn't complete even the first day. I resolved to just get through that day, forget about that days target, just get as far as possible. I tried not to think about about 'tomorrow'. Although I did improve and completed the ride on time I never experienced the exileration I expected. Since then I have done more tours but still have days when I wonder if i'm up for it. I find I have to work through the bad days best I can. Extra rests, forget that days target & solder on. Sometimes its very hard.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

elioelio wrote:I'm currently in my first week of cycling the east coast UK, and am 5 miles into my day and have no energy whatsoever! I was thinking I must not be eating properly, then I thought it might just be psychological.

It's probably some of both. Make sure you are eating plenty, and good food. When I am touring, I can hardly eat enough; 3 big meals, plus snacks in between. As for the psychology... I think it happens to most people at some point in a tour.

Give it a couple of days, make sure you eat well, and then re-evaluate. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you enjoy it :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Why are you doing the tour?

If you have just done 4 months, maybe it is time for a rest, mental and physical. Unless you are a professional (writing a book, etc) then its up to you what you do. Simply riding for the sake of it won't be enjoyable.

When I jacked in work 15 years ago I decided to do 3 month max tours as I had seen too many lost souls on the backpacker circuit, wandering aimlessly. Some cyclists also fall into this trap. Shorter tours keep 'it' fresh and you can have plenty of home time.

I Iimagine (and hope) that by now you have got over this and are heading bright eyed to your next destination.............but if you have not, maybe you should jack it in and start again when you have the hunger back.

Whatever, enjoy.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Maybe it's partly because you've been back home then bounced back out again, takes a while to re-adjust? A while ago I did 6 months round Europe, coming back for a fortnight in the middle for a wedding, and the first week back travelling after that I was pretty fed up. I thought it was just because it was Belgium but maybe not!
Worth persevering a bit longer, you'll find out if the feeling lasts or if you get enthused again. Good luck with it.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
elioelio

Post by elioelio »

Very late reply here - but thanks for all your replies. I actually got a train home the day after writing that post and haven't been on the forum since. I'm now in a dull job and am now thinking about my next tour! I don't regret coming home, i was feeling pretty down, but very happy now! I just think definitely that 3 months max for me is good. I think now I've also managed to convince my partner to try out cycle touring so maybe I won't be solo next time!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Now you're talking, sounds like a good plan to me - but take it easy to start with, don't scare your partner off!

My great passion is a particular form of fishing in the Tropics, and I do have a fishing buddy for these 9-day trips but it's still an awful wrench to leave my wife & daughter. She's tried the sport, indeed she's come along 2 or 3 times, but it's not or her, sadly.