Front Rack for Boardman Hybrid Team

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ferdinand

Front Rack for Boardman Hybrid Team

Post by ferdinand »

I feel a little guilty starting a new thread about front racks so soon, but it is slightly different and I have spent days looking.

This piccie from bikeradar shows the forks:
forks.jpg

I only have the eyelet mounts at the wheel hub, the mudguard eyelet shown, and anything I create to mount to the handlebars - potentially I could drill the bars but that would be really last resort. The forks are out as they are carbon. I have disk brakes.

The purpose is to balance the bike front-back while (light) touring. Panniers would be nice, but something to support a stuffed dri-bag would probably do the job.

I'm going to get a Vavert Avancer rack to play with as it is available for £10. Potentially I could use something designed to attach to the brake bosses (Tubus Smarti?) with a little bit of home engineering.

I have also wondered about a Wildcat Mountain Lion (review by Meraid Griffin), but for a dribag attachment device it costs nearly as much as a Tubus.

Any suggestions would be welcome, particularly if anyone has done it.

Thanks

Ferdinand
Last edited by ferdinand on 16 Apr 2015, 1:59pm, edited 3 times in total.
mercalia

Re: Front Rack for Boardman Hybrid Team

Post by mercalia »

I think u can get bags that go in the frame triangle and use the top tube to support - since your brakes dont use the top tube would be be ideal? Better than trying to fit a front rack? I've seen some one here with such an arrangement. Also shown in the url u posted?
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Brake bridge and axle mounted one here:- http://cetmacargo.com/pages/halfrack
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Drilling the bars??? Do you have a reserved bed at the ER department?
Wouldn't a handlebar bag do this job?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
cjs

Post by cjs »

ferdinand wrote:......

The purpose is to balance the bike front-back while (light) touring. Panniers would be nice, but something to support a stuffed dri-bag would probably do the job.

Have a look at https://www.alpkit.com/products/kanga

Will do what you want without hassle... only down side I can see is the weight is a tadge high - but then you are light touring so no matter....

Kind Regards
Chris...
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Vantage wrote:Drilling the bars??? Do you have a reserved bed at the ER department?
Wouldn't a handlebar bag do this job?

It seems to have been not uncommon in the past. Thinking, the way to do that would be a sturdy riser bar and innovative fixing to that, so any problem would only destroy the riser.

However I now have the Advancer for my £10, and will probably get a handlebar dribag harness. The rack is delightfully light.

The price of £50 or so for a harness hurts though!

Ferdinand
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

cjs wrote:
ferdinand wrote:......

Have a look at https://www.alpkit.com/products/kanga

Will do what you want without hassle... only down side I can see is the weight is a tadge high - but then you are light touring so no matter....

The touring will be a 100 miles or so of coast path to a hotel. Weekend in hotel on day rides. 100 miles or so to another convenient station.

It's the coastal path in a lot of bits.

Actually that mount looks a little high for lights etc. But I ordered one of these

http://www.avt.bike/WebStore/merchant.m ... Mount-Wide

And may go for a similar system which goes below the bars.

F
cjs

Post by cjs »

Unless you expect night riding would not worry too much about lights... a headtorch around the drybag or barbag is more than good enough. And if it is on path or track away from other users pop it on your head....
Kind Regards
Chris...
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Personally I *always* think about lights, and enough lights to be in the country on a narrow A road.

Even in my short touring history I have had a couple of dievrsions that have pushed me after dark, including one which was the result of a flooded National Cycle Route.

But thanks for the view.

Ferdinand