1st tour advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
forestboy60

1st tour advice

Post by forestboy60 »

I am planning my first tour and would appreciate thoughts on my plans.

Overnight ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff, 2 days to cycle to Quimper, train to Bordeaux, leaving 12 days to cycle back to Roscoff.
The plan is to follow the Eurovelo 1, but not to be rigid in the plan. Camping and B+B when wanted as well.
I would be interested in any other ideas for 2 weeks in France as well.
Paul Smith SRCC

Re: 1st tour advice

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

I have cycled from Bordeaux to Barcelona a few times (link to write up link to write up) there is one particular day from 'Coll de Nargó to Solsona' that is absolutely stunning. (link for route link for route), so stunning it was the main reason I've ridden that tour three times now!

If you get the chance I would definitely definitely definitely definitely recommend it
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

There is infinite variety in France with probably as many ideas as there are contributors, we have taken the 'Bike bus' down to Montpellier and ridden in the Carmargue and then northwards to Orange, taking in the gorges which are equally stunning.
As far as i know there is nothing wrong with your plan, and there are lots of ideas that you can go back and explore in future trips..... Alps, Pyrennees, the Gorges,
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Two days from Roscoff to Quimper by a fairly direct route is only 35m a day, is that what you plan? It roughly fits with your 12 days back from Bordeaux. If so, I would recommend the islands of Noirmoutier and Re, but the section between Nantes and La Rochelle I found a bit boring otherwise. Also try to take in some of the Nantes-Brest canal on the return trip, particularly around Josselin.
If your first two days is less direct, and you are planning on much more than 35 mpd, then there are all sorts of options but contributors here would need to know your abilities (and hill-climbing aptitude!) to provide useful recommendations.
Chris F, Cornwall
JJF

Post by JJF »

The tour you have described looks ok to me.

It's often recommended to do a short trial tour before setting out on a first tour. It can be quite near home....say a couple of nights with the kit you intend to take later. It gives the opportunity to refine your ideas about luggage etc.
forestboy60

Post by forestboy60 »

Thank you for the replies to my post, but I have had a change of plan.
It is now the ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff, trains from Morlaix to Paris , then Paris to Nevers on the EV6. Follow the EV6 to Nantes, then the EV1 to Roscoff and ferry back to Plymouth. Trains booked as well from Truro to Plymouth return.

I am going to use the 2 bank holiday weekends as 3 day 2 night camping weekends to sort out the kit.
At the moment I am cycling about 100 - 120 miles a week which includes a 50 - 60 miler at the weekend. Hopefully this will be enough to enjoy the tour.

Thanks

Ian
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Good luck, Ian, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
If you're in Truro, as I am, perhaps I know you? If not, you're welcome to try a Truro Cycling Club ride one day.
Chris F, Cornwall
syklist

Post by syklist »

forestboy60 wrote:I am planning my first tour and would appreciate thoughts on my plans.

Wear sunscreen.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
honesty

Post by honesty »

have you thought about following the Tour de Manche rather than getting trains around? Its a circular tour that crosses the channel at Plymouth and Poole.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Long shot - you're not thinking of doing the Plymouth-Roscoff-Morlaix-Paris bit starting 2nd June or returning around 13th/14th June? That's when I'm doing those legs as part of my mini-tour.
forestboy60

Post by forestboy60 »

Hi Quilkin
I live in Mount Hawke and I am a member of the Truro Cycling Club. Had a good ride out to Victoria last Sunday and looking forward to a ride next Sunday. Will be doing the 10am ride.
Ian
forestboy60

Post by forestboy60 »

Hi DevonDemo
Sorry my dates are different to yours. Leaving Plymouth June 19th, returning July 5th.