European Tour Advice?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
JordanEkland

European Tour Advice?

Post by JordanEkland »

Hey all!

I was planning to take a solo tour to Norway this year as a small holiday, but two friends have got involved and we're now cycling 2000 miles through Europe for a Male Cancer Charity (Orchid) We're looking for advice on camping in Germany, around the Bremen/Hamburg/Fehmarn area as we are coming through Holland to Bremen then up into Denmark and are aware that wildcamping is illegal in Germany.

Any advice for routes and camping from Holland to Bremen/Hamburg/Fehmarn and the stops in between there that would be very appreciated! We're also going to be going through Denmark, Sweden, Czech Republic (Via Rostock and Berlin in Germany), Slovenia, Austria and Croatia before the end of the tour in Trieste, Italy. So any information anyone has about good routes/wildcamp spots that would be great!

You can check our charity page out at Facebook.com/tyredtest15 too, if anyone is interested!

Thanks,

Jordan!
jamesgilbert

Re: European Tour Advice?

Post by jamesgilbert »

The main long-distance cycling routes in Germany are on this website: http://www.radnetz-deutschland.de/en/ra ... hland.html But there are lots (and lots) of regional routes, to the point where the signposts can get very confusing. The ADFC maps are generally very useful. I haven't been to that part of Germany, but campsites are fairly cheap - just search for "campingplatz" on google maps.

If you're looking to reduce costs then definitely think about joining WarmShowers. Travelling in a group of 3 can make it a bit harder to find places to stay, but it's still possible. If you have time to host some people before leaving, the positive feedback may increase your chances of finding places.

One country where you should probably try to avoid campsites is Slovenia; maybe I was unlucky but all the campsites I saw were extremely expensive. In rural areas I think wild camping would be quite easy, although it's not officially allowed, and it's best to avoid wild camping in the national parks. Czech campsites can be very basic (and very cheap), but also good fun - lots of people with open campfires drinking beer all night. I helped a neighbour chop some wood and we got invited for hot dogs, beer and cake later in the evening!
CBreeze

Re: European Tour Advice?

Post by CBreeze »

Sounds like a nice nice varied route! When are you going? I'm doing your original plan (solo to Norway) leaving mid June following the first bit of your route. I have no idea about campsites but I will probablly just figure it out when I'm there or the day before. My phone network provider (Three) is a joke for coverage in the UK and I was about to change when I noticed they've started a thing where you can use your UK plan in some European countries for free and as I have unlimited data with them that should be pretty useful and I will most likely Google for campsites etc when I need them. In the past travelling through Europe I found a Europe wide database of campsites somewhere on the internet and put that on my phone and that was very useful as there were so many I could just what I'm near to at the end of the day and it didn't rely on the internet.

Anyway's good luck with your trip, I checked out your FB page, looks good.

Chris