best audax/light touring disc wheelset ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hoogerbooger

best audax/light touring disc wheelset ?

Post by hoogerbooger »

Have been looking at the Condor Fratello disc and similar bikes. I mainly want for audax type cycling, but I also want to do lightish packed touring ( I have a expedition type touring bike for heavy & rough stuff)

On the Condor, the shop has recommended for my price range the Mavic Askium one disc wheelset. Any views out there on their reliability & suitability for touring or suggestions on alternative 10 speed wheels that are lightish and maintainable. I'm not sure if I'm just being old fangled, but cartridge bearings and straight spokes just look like unnecessary complications with extra expense in repairs.

Anyway any advice ?
old fangled
foxyrider

Re: best audax/light touring disc wheelset ?

Post by foxyrider »

Kinesis do a nice set - my mate has had a pair for a couple of years with no issues and mine have just done an unserviced winter. reasonable weight, reasonable price :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
samsbike

Re: best audax/light touring disc wheelset ?

Post by samsbike »

Depends on how much they are and how much you want to spend.

There was a really nice set for sale a few weeks back on here.

However, back to the point, if they are around £300 I would speak to a decent wheelbuilder, Wheelcraft in Scotland are highly recommended and there are others.

I like the H+ Son rims (well they look pretty) with novatech hubs, which can be rebuilt. If that is too much, xt disc hubs with a nice rim - by RoseBikes will be around £250 I think.

Also hope are doing fully built up, rebuildable wheels as well.