Basic Pannier Advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
helenheart

Basic Pannier Advice

Post by helenheart »

My Burley Trailer is no more and I am about to do a week long trip with back panniers. I am tentative about this as the trailer always worked well for me. I'm opting for panniers a) the cost and b) don't need all the space this time around as I am on a B&B circuit.
Seems like I can get a pair for £10-20. I don't need fancy and I don't need them to last a lifetime - do I pick a pair and hope for the best, or is there more to it that I am missing?
I appreciate you only get what you pay for, but at this point I am mainly concerned as to a bad decision impacting my cycling.
Looking at these in the first instance.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PANNIER-BAG-S ... 8130&rt=nc

Many thanks
Helen
mercalia

Re: Basic Pannier Advice

Post by mercalia »

SJS has been selling them for some time, and seems like many people are buying them. I dont think they are very big - 30l the two of them. I doubt they ware water proof but u can put stuff in plastic bags? I think they are made of woven man made fibre so if any thing like the Karrimor of old could last years
Last edited by mercalia on 10 Apr 2015, 5:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
irc

Post by irc »

SJS wouldn't sell complete crap. At that price get a year out them and they don't owe you anything. I used similar panniers on my Lands End - John O Groats. Thereafter transferred them to my sons bike. Going strong years later.

Downsides - not as easy to take on and off as Orltiebs. Not waterproof so you need to use plastic bags inside them if there is any chance of rain.

Upsides - cheap and unattractive to thieves so ideal for a commuter bike that will be parked all day somewhere.
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

I've used those SJS panniers on a B&B tour, they are well made for the money. The hooks are steel, I'd recommend protecting your rack from abrasion. I used clear braided PVC tubing split open and zip-tied to the rack in the area where the hooks contact.
Attachments
img_0326 (450 x 600).jpg
img_0374 (600 x 450).jpg
Last edited by Erudin on 10 Apr 2015, 8:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oh they are a decent size then?
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Not big but you can stuff them as they are well stiched. I just used them to carry sleeping bag, small bivi style tent, u-lock & cable, raincoat and spare clothes, I left cooking gear at home and bought food on the go.
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

Thank you for the comments, advice and photos.
Much appreciated!
Helen
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have never invested in waterproof panniers, but I do pack everything in plastic bags to keep them dry. The only time I ever had any trouble was when an edge rubbed a hole in a pannier, then through a couple of my plastic bags.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom