Mosquitos/Midges be afraid be very afraid Armageddon

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Flite

Re: Mosquitos/Midges be afraid be very afraid Armageddon

Post by Flite »

Skin so soft certainly didn't work on me. Whenever "Which" do independent tests, only deet seems sure to work. But it is nasty stuff to use - it is absorbed through your skin. As well as the damage to nylon etc, be aware that it damages spectacles, sunglasses etc.
Of the non-deet chemicals, I have found Smidge (developed by the Scottish midge research folks) to be effective. But different things work for different people, you really just have to find what works for you.
I also react very badly to midge bites, but gave up using antihistamine cream when the GP decided I was allergic to it, so was making the itching worse!
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

Vorpal wrote:When I have been cycling in mosquito / midge areas in peak season (which includes a July / August cycle tour in Scotland), I have never really has a problem whilst cycling. I canæt even say that I have had any problems during the day. the problem comes, when out of doors in the evning, and especially around dusk.

I think that cycling, the biggest risk is riding into them, and normal repellent is probably enough for the occasional midge in those circumstances. However, I can see that someone who is very sensitive to their bites may go to extraordinary lengths to avoid being bitten.

I am prepared to reverse engineer a virus to kill them! is that extraordinary enough... although the film Mimic would suggest that wouldn't work out to well for me. However the last time I had a really serious attack it brought on Vomiting and bites that seemed to liquify the skin leaving scars so yep extraordinary lengths it is!

So far I am working on:

a midge hat & jacket combo
Deet
avoiding watery/wet places to camp (difficult on the coast I reckon)
a whole tent cover mosquito net treated.

I am also going to see my doctor for advice about anti hystamines as a preventative measure in case I get bitten.

I also agree with the following if bitten:

topical cream of choice + heat up a warm spoon and massage the area, this helps break down the toxins and provides some relief.

I am sure that somewhere along the food chain they are necessary and a more fluffy bunny type species needs them.. so I am going to forgoe any attempts to assist in wiping them out beyond killing anything that happens to try and feed on me.

On the bright side, none of the really bad diseases they transmit have made it over to the UK AFAIK. I am also wondering if I take someone who is really unfit and produces more carbon monoxide than I do, encourage them to wear short sleeves and shorts, swap their suncream for honey or some other attractant if that might work better :twisted:
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

I find the combination of Garlic and Vit B12 taken for a week before travelling to be quite an effective deterrent for Mosquitoes. But! You needn't worry about Mosquitoes on the West Coast of Scotland because the midgies have eaten them all. They will also have their share of your precious blood and there is no way you are going to stop them. You may find something that will discourage the majority but there are always some that make it through. Whatever you do there will be some which will find the tiny patches of skin round your lips or eyes where you haven't put your protection so always better to take something to reduce the discomfort of the bite.

I've worked in the west of Scotland all my life and I've spent nearly every other weekend in the great outdoors. After trying all sorts of stuff including a military strength gel which melted the plastic layer off a fly fishing line after just a few seconds contact! I believe Skin so Soft is definitely the best. It is used by Forestry workers, Balifs , Soldiers, Police, you name. The M.O.D Policemen who patrol the perimeter fence of Faslane base 24/7 swear by it.
Skin so soft is sold in the angling shops in Scotland these days. There are two types, a lotion or cream type and a light oil based spray on type. It is the Oil you are after. It certainly works but it is inevitable that some will get through.
Andibs

Post by Andibs »

If you go on to Bushcraftuk web site, one of the members makes repellent from natural ingredients. It smells quite strong but I've used it for 2 years in Scotland and it's been brilliant.

It's called something like stupidly simple

Andy
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

DarkNewt wrote:
So far I am working on:

Deet

I am also going to see my doctor for advice about anti hystamines as a preventative measure in case I get bitten.

topical cream of choice + heat up a warm spoon and massage the area, this helps break down the toxins and provides some relief.

Your doctor may be willing ot prescribe a cortisone cream for just in case, which may be rather more helpful than most things available without prescription.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

Vorpal wrote:
DarkNewt wrote:
So far I am working on:

Deet

Your doctor may be willing ot rpescribe a cortisone cream for just in case, which may be rather more helpful than most things available without prescription.

cheers vorpal!
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

Ah balls. Am planning on going up the west coast of Scotland in the last week of May.

As my preferred cycling attire is shorts & a t-shirt, with my bed being a bivi, it now looks like I'll need to procure an NBC suit.

Disgruntled :evil:
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

dakari-mane wrote:Ah balls. Am planning on going up the west coast of Scotland in the last week of May.

As my preferred cycling attire is shorts & a t-shirt, with my bed being a bivi, it now looks like I'll need to procure an NBC suit.

Disgruntled :evil:

thats my preferred cycling attire too - cycle and shorts not NBC suit
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

DarkNewt wrote:

Try camping right by the sea if you can (just above high-water level would be ideal). This will be possible in many more remote areas of Scotland, and on some commercial campsites. Midges like fresh water, not salt, and on the shore there is sometimes a slight breeze even on a still evening - and even a little wind will reduce or stop midge attacks.

Cheers
John
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

This^ . Try and find a site exposed to wind and avoid picturesque spots near trees and/or water. Burning a moskil coil by your tent in the evening is very effective at keeping the little blighters at bay, too. They are readily for sale in the highlands.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

They don't like me :(
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
robing

Post by robing »

Newer mind the midges and mosquitos, in Scotland the horse fly or cleg is much worse!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

The thing I find with clegs, though, is that they are so big and slow that you can usually whack them before they bite. And even if you don't spot them until you feel their teeth in your flesh, killing them immediately seems to prevent them leaving any irritating poisons behind It works for me, at least - I very rarely have reactions to cleg bites. Midgies are something else! :shock:
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

I cycled 800 + miles with a tear in my achilles and a damaged wrist in a brace... I would prefer that to getting eaten again!
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

I know there's not many of us do it nowadays but if you are a smoker you have won a watch with regards to midgie deterrents. Skin so Soft is very good but in days gone by there was nothing to beat a few hefty cigars or a pipe blowing like a farriers furnace to keep the blood sucking barstewards at bay. There was a tackle dealer called John Cobley who used to run Argyll Sports in Dunoon , who wore a bush hat with the burning 'mosikill' coils lit and smouldering above the hat. We fished for night time sea trout in the Glendaruel area together during the still summer nights when the midgies were at their worst. This was in the pre skin so Soft days and Tobacco smoke and mosikill coils worked well. They were obviously not at all healthy but they made it possible to go where others feared to tread!
The fact that you are allowed to build a smokey fire while camping in Scotland is very handy. It is a great defence against the ravenous hordes !